Drum, fife, and bugle corps . . .

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited May 2, 2005 in People
Lancaster City had it's first annual American Spirit Parade on Saturday. Not too many spectators - first year apathy and rainy conditions. I shot pics for a friend who was on the parade staff. Here's a couple that I like:

21022739-L.jpg

21022619-L.jpg

Thoughts and ideas welcome.

john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    wholenewlight
    Both great good color and background on first great clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Love the first one it looks like a postcard but why are the Redcoats marching in an American Spirit parade?

Image #2 the fife player has a great look with those big green eyes but the image seems the tinest bit busy to me
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    photoshow wrote:
    but why are the Redcoats marching in an American Spirit parade?
    Wow, good question. I went to the Old Guard Fife and Drum Coprps website and here's what I found:

" The musicians of this unit recall the days of the American Revolution as they parade in uniforms patterned after those worn by the musicians of Gen. George Washington's Continental Army. Military musicians of the period wore the reverse colors of the regiments to which they were assigned. The uniforms worn by the members of the Corps are dated circa 1781, and consist of black tricorn hats, white wigs, waistcoats, colonial coveralls, and red regimental coats. "
    photoshow wrote:
    Image #2 the fife player has a great look with those big green eyes but the image seems the tinest bit busy to me
    Yeah, you're right. I've played around with cropping etc but the pic has too much other stuff going on.

Here's another one. Not as busy, but no eye contact.

21066931-L.jpg

john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 2, 2005
    2 great shots! I disagree on #2, I think it's powerful how the girl is the only full face in the shot and with eye contact. fantastic. thumb.gif
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I think it's powerful how the girl is the only full face in the shot and with eye contact thumb.gif
    Thanks, that's why I liked the shot also. Her eye contact with the camera (actually, it's almost eye contact) when the other partial subjects have other things going on. She seems in a different world than the others.

But there is a lot of busyness in the picture. I don't like the kid's partial face behind her's.
    john w

Edward Steichen

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    I love the composition of the first one. Great job and thnxs for sharing.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    the first picture is absolutely stunning, great face.
  • photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Interesting history behind the uniforms#3 is a nice shot but I actually think I like #2 better even though it is busier. The girl really does have eyes that just freeze you in your place.
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Nice shots. Great colors and story.