Canon EOS 20-35 f2.8 L Auto Focus Fast Enough?

unknownphotographyunknownphotography Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited September 29, 2008 in Cameras
I have heard that this lens has a loud autofocus, since does not have the newer ultrasonic technology. But is the auto focus slower or just louder? I plan to use this lens for in water surfing shots and under the hoop basketball pictures so i need a fast focus, will this lens do the trick? thanks.
http://www.unknownphotography.com
30D 70-200 f2.8 IS, 400 f5.6, 50 1.4, sigma 18-200 3.5-6.3

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited September 29, 2008
    I have heard that this lens has a loud autofocus, since does not have the newer ultrasonic technology. But is the auto focus slower or just louder? I plan to use this lens for in water surfing shots and under the hoop basketball pictures so i need a fast focus, will this lens do the trick? thanks.

I tried a copy of the Canon EF 20-35mm, f2.8L about a year and a half ago and I was honestly unimpressed with the lens. That particular copy also had something wrong with it but I would have sent it back anyway. It's the only Canon "L" lens I was totally unhappy with.

The Canon 17-35mm, f2.8L USM is the oldest of that line that I would recommend. The improvements are in every aspect from corner sharpness through focus speed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums