Please critique a few shots from the Dominican

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited September 29, 2008 in Landscapes
I fairly new to digital photography, actually, photography all together but it has fast become one of my passions. I just got back from the Dominican Republic and would love some honest critique of a few shots. These also were my first attempt at HDR. I really like HDR when it is not overdone.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

381545551_KuvET-M.jpg

381552286_vuR5t-M.jpg

380759291_VhDsb-M.jpg

380759659_Hq5ru-M.jpg

I worked on the blown out sky based on Jeff's comments. I layered a copy of the raw photo which I tweaked the exposure on. I think this is much better. Thanks again for the feedback Jeff.

383444100_D2os6-M.jpg

383471039_A5Qnr-M.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    These are all very interesting shots. You have a bit of a problem with the sky in the first two and the last. Some of the highlights are blown out. I'd work on that a bit more. Also, I think the woman on the beach in #2 needs to be cloned out. Very good work for a beginner!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    These are all very interesting shots. You have a bit of a problem with the sky in the first two and the last. Some of the highlights are blown out. I'd work on that a bit more. Also, I think the woman on the beach in #2 needs to be cloned out. Very good work for a beginner!

Thanks for reply. I do see what you mean with highlights in the sky being blown out. I will work on that some. Those were HDR made from a single exposure. I will try to create an underexposed shot in PS and then use that to create a new HDR. I hope that will fix it.

When I took the shots, I tried adjusting the exposure but I either lost the shadow details or the highlights were blown out. Is there something else I could have done to accomodate the range of the shot on camera?

I will create a copy of the coconut pic with my wife cloned out but I kind of like the pic with her in it. Gives it a quirky perspective ne_nau.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site