Canon 60D?

yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited June 16, 2009 in Cameras
No, this is not a leak of a 60D in the works...rather, it's a question: is the 50D worth getting if there is a 60D that will be released in the not so far future?

I've been shooting with my trusty 20D and am in the market now for a new body. The 50D is within my budget, but I'm a little hesitant to drop the big bucks only to hear about a newly designed body or other upgrade that will follow on the 50Ds heels.

Any advice here? Should I just pick up the 40D and be happy with it until time for the next upgrade, or pick up the 50D?

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 30, 2008
    yoyostock wrote:
    No, this is not a leak of a 60D in the works...rather, it's a question: is the 50D worth getting if there is a 60D that will be released in the not so far future?

I've been shooting with my trusty 20D and am in the market now for a new body. The 50D is within my budget, but I'm a little hesitant to drop the big bucks only to hear about a newly designed body or other upgrade that will follow on the 50Ds heels.

Any advice here? Should I just pick up the 40D and be happy with it until time for the next upgrade, or pick up the 50D?

Why settle for a 60D when the 70D will be so much better? rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, new models are always in the works. If you (like me) are still shooting with a 20D, either the 40D or 50D will be an improvement. You really can't go wrong. You don't need the latest and greatest to take fantastic photos...your 20D is perfectly capable of that.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    15524779-Ti.gif - you can expect the 60D, if it comes, to be something like 18 - 24 months away. Waiting for something that may not even come is ... well ... not something I would consider.

Think instead about what your current camera does and what it doesn't do. Does it, in any way, limit your ability to create photographs? Is there something about your current camera that gets in the way or is irritating? If the answer is no, then there's no need to upgrade at all - granted the want may be a very strong inducement to do so.

So take a look at what is currently available. Will it solve a problem you are having? If yes, then it's a candidate for upgrade.

I shoot weddings with a pair of 30D cameras. There is/was no reason for me to upgrade to the 40D when it came out - didn't solve any problems for me. The 50D, assuming it pans out to expectations, does solve a couple of problems (1) Higher ISO capability, and (2) the micro-focus adjustments. So, this is a serious consideration for me.

On the other hand, I have a 20D that I had converted to IR-only photography. I'll not be upgrading that any time soon. It does what I need and does it quite well.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    One thing you always need to accept is that every 12-24 months cameras get replaced. It is not because the old ones are no good, it is simply because camera manufacturers are in the business to make money. They want us to think we need a new one every time. However, the 50D just got released. It is brand new. Thinking of its replacement already seems pretty premature to me. So, the 50D is worth getting. Certainly there will be a 60D, but not for at least 12 months. But your 20D is still a wonderful camera.

I actually usually upgrade when the newest model gets announced so the model that's being replaced drops a ton in price. I got my E-510 for a major bargain right before the E-520 came out, and am in no rush to upgrade (even thought the E-520 is out). I still have my E-500 as a backup, and still use it regularly as a second body during my wedding shoots. Still works great!
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    I wonder what they are gonna call the 50D series when it hits past 90D?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008

i expect that at that time they will go to some arbitrary other system...

or else they will go back and start doing D90 D80 D70 D60 D50 D40 D30 D20 D10 D00

the Nikon/Canon naming schemes are stupid! they are so similar except Canons' is more logical...

Nikon goes for DXX to the DXXX then the DX

Canon goes in order XXXXD/XXXD then XXD then XD
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    as for me the upgrade from a 20D to a 40D was totally worth it, especially since I bought it with a €150,- rebate (cost of the body was about €680,- which is actually my cheapest DSLR body up to date rolleyes1.gif and I've owned a 2nd hand D30 and a new 20D)

If the 40D is enough for you you'll save a nice bit for a new lens, if you really need a 50D then by all means go get one :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    The release of bodies is fast enough that you can quite happily skip every second generation and spend the money on fun glass instead. It will make you happier then having the latest body and will last you A LOT longer

my upgrade path.... 10D when it was newish, skipped the 20D then jumped on the 5D after it was out for 8 months, it's still given me so much love I've pre-ordered the 5D2 to make some macro videos.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Nah, I would wait for the 70D, but really the one you want is the 80D...because, you know, its going to be 4x better than the 20D...heck Canon did the math for you!

(j/k)rolleyes1.gif

There will always be new cameras, that's how the world works. If you find a reason that the 40D or 50D better meets your needs, by all means, buy it. If you dont see anything that makes a difference, there is no reason not to keep using a 20D.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    60D is in the works.
    I suspect it'll be out in about 12-18months.
    The same for 70D after the 60D is out.

At some point you have to make a purchase. There will always be coming coming around the corner, but don't let that stop you. Otherwise you'll always have to wait.
  • Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Canon seems to put out their cameras at pretty regular intervals, so if you're ready to wait another year and a half, why not? And then you could wait another 18months for the 70D instead? I say, just get it (unless there is some lens you're in dying need of)
    canondslrtimelinegu6.png

EDIT: Source of image:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Canon_DSLR_cameras
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
  • Kayaking-N-SCKayaking-N-SC Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    yoyostock wrote:

If I were you, I would go on and upgrade the 20D to the 50D. I started with the 20D, skipped the 30D when it came out, then upgraded when the 40D came out. The 50D is tempting because of the improved ISO range, but for upgrading for better ISO, the new 5D is what I am saving my pennies for.
    Thomas
    Columbia, SC

Canon 5DmkII / 40D / 24-105 F4 L / LensBaby Composer

TLKPhotos.SmugMug.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I'd wait. There are rumors for this fall, which isn't that long. Hopefully, they will improve the high ISO noise over the 40d/50d which, from what I read are pretty close to the same. I'd be curious how the new x1i compares

these sites may be of interest to this conversation.

http://www.canonrumors.com/category/photography/canon-60d/

http://www.photographybay.com/2009/02/03/canon-60d-7d-rumors/
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I'm a pro, and I only buy a new camera when I kill the old camera, then depending on the cause of death I have the old camera fixed and give it to my kid. Seriously, I have a 40D and NO 50D envy whatsoever. Yeah I'd like a 5d MkII but not until they may a 24-70 f2.8 IS to go along with it.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    The 40D is a fine camera you can still get new for cheap. A no-brainer IMO.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited June 3, 2009
    Another satisfied Canon 40D customer. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Same here, 40D all the way! For me the only compelling thing about the 50D was the higher ISO's available, and from waht I read they aren't that great from a quality standpoint, so why bother?

Right now I'm saving for the 17-55 f2.8 IS!!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I am all about the 40D too. I have no reason to move to anything.

OK well maybe IF I were going to move it would be to something with significantly more features/ISO performance, say a Nikon D700.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    The most important thing is to have a solid idea of what you need. For example, I wanted lower noise in low light, and HD video. But the 50D does not have significant noise improvements, and there are some deal-breakers with the video on the 50D. So overall, all I know is that, based on my own needs and preferences, if I want to be happy with the body for a number of years, I need to pass on the 50D, and wait for whatever Canon's going to call the next model or whenever Canon's going to ship it.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    and there are some deal-breakers with the video on the 50D.

Not having video is a pretty serious deal breaker :)

As a vote for the 50D I just finished a job that I would not have had with a 40D. One of the requirements was that the camera could use, and create, custom folders....

I believe that was not available on the 40D.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Toshido wrote:

Oh, my bad, I was thinking of the new EOS Rebel T1i's video...
    edited June 6, 2009
    Toshido wrote:

As a vote for the 50D I just finished a job that I would not have had with a 40D. One of the requirements was that the camera could use, and create, custom folders....

what is a custom folder?
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009

We'll see a Canon XP Home, Canon XP Pro and then Canon Vista in that order .. :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited June 6, 2009
    Toshido wrote:

That is a very strange requirement. Can you provide more details - just curious.
    edited June 6, 2009
    That is a very strange requirement. Can you provide more details - just curious.

Sure. Was shooting a gymnastics meet, actually the 2009 Canadian gymnastics championship. i worked the booth more than I shot pictures and I still took over 4000 pictures over the week.
    Anyways, the custom folders...

Beginning of the day we were given a starting list of all the gymnasts. They did not always have bib numbers or any identifying marks at all. And with that number of athletes we could not possibly know the names.
    Anyways it started as Grace Chiu asked me to do. Each event I started a new folder for that event then marked down the last picture number of that athlete.
    So if i took 10 pictures of athlete 1 then I would write down a 10 next to their name (assuming I started at photo 0 ) Then if i took 6 pictures of athlete 2 I would write down a 16, and so on....

Later we figured it was easier to give each athlete their own folder. So by this time the gymnasts had bibs and numbers. it also got to the point where 3-4 events were happening all at once, with 2 photographers....
    So basically I covered the floor excercise and whatever I had time to do when the floor was empty.

So I would start a new folder and write the folder number and bib number beside it. When I switched to a new athlete I started a new folder and wrote down the folder number and athlete bib number.

Then back at the booth I imported the photos to a junk folder on the desktop. We then just copied all the photos in a folder into the folder on the computer with the gymnasts name on it. Worked great and within 20 minutes of importing the photos we could have 2000 photos of 20-30 people organized into named folders.

So in this case the custom folders were a godsend for organizing pictures.

Also after this I can actually see me using this feature to organize photos as I take them...

For example, with a wedding since I know you (Scott) shoot weddings....

I could do prep photos in a folder. New folder for some candids as they travel to the church. New folder for candids and prep before ceremony. New folder for ceremony, etc....

Make for an extremely quick way to organize photos if you need to find a specific person or event during the day...
    edited June 6, 2009
    for weddings it doesn't seem that much trouble to create folders after the fact.
    edited June 6, 2009
    Wedding are slow though, in comparison. You also do not need to remember every name that attends..
    edited June 7, 2009
    Now I understand where the folders would be a real life saver in that situation.

Josh is right about weddings though. As they are not quite that fast moving, there's no real need for the system you used for that event. There are usually very clear breaks and it's easy to organize the photos - especially if you have synchronized the clocks on all the cameras involved - just sort by the "Date Create" in the EXIF and it's easy to find the breaks.

Not so easy for you in the situation above. Wow!
    edited June 7, 2009
    One of the shooters there had a Nikon D300. Not sure if that camera can't do folders or if he simply did not use them. What a mess as i was trying to sort them for viewers. Nice pictures though.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    When the 60D is released, whenever that may be, it will not change the capabilities of existing 50Ds. The 50D will still perform to its specification.

So if the 50D meets your requirements, and since the 60D is unlikely to be released (let alone be available for purchase) for at least 12 months, there's no good reason not to buy the 50D if you are ready for a new camera body now.

Otherwise, wait for the 70D or 80D, just to be on the safe side! mwink.gif
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    When the 60D is released, whenever that may be, it will not change the capabilities of existing 50Ds. The 50D will still perform to its specification.

Are you sure? I heard that it comes with a hibernating nest of spiders that wake up when the next model is released and then they go and leave spider footprints on your sensor and murder you in your sleep. eek7.gif

Spider attacks aren't covered in the warranty, look in the fine print.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]