Options

Gallery FILE ORDER Problem & Can't Access Controls

Bill_PadorBill_Pador Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited October 1, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello SmugMug,

I'm having a problem with 1 of my sites client galleries (just created yesterday). I set it up to put the images in FILE ORDER - Ascending 1-99 but they are skipping the first 2-99 for some reason and going from 1-10-100 and then 101-199 then 2-20-200 and so on. I've been labeling & exporting my finished images via LightRoom & LR2 and then posting in my galleries like this for the past year and never had a problem with them going from 1-2-3-4 before today.

The images are labeled Gabby_Party-1, Gabby_Party-2 and so on, then a second set labled Meade_Party-1, 2, 3 etc.. Can you figure out what the problem is for me because I have them labeled basically as they were shot for the exception of some changes to certain images I wanted in the beginning of the order on purpose (The introduction to the party facility, Guests Arriving etc.) but then the other first 98 images are somewhere down the line in the gallery now too.

The gallery can be found here:
http://billpador.smugmug.com/gallery/6104746_wcVMF//383583765_zQHWV

ALSO: I can not access my CONTROL PANEL TABS today - I have logged out & back in again several times but still can't get them to work. I can navigate to the Control Panel Page itself but when I click on the tabs ie. NEWS - STATS - SETTINGS _ CUSTOMIZE nothing happens. Are you having a problem right now that is being worked on ???

Thank You
Bill Pador
New Jersey Photographer
Professional Photographers Association & National Photoshop Professionals Member
www.billpador.com

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Bill_Pador wrote:
    Hello SmugMug,

I'm having a problem with 1 of my sites client galleries (just created yesterday). I set it up to put the images in FILE ORDER - Ascending 1-99 but they are skipping the first 2-99 for some reason and going from 1-10-100 and then 101-199 then 2-20-200 and so on. I've been labeling & exporting my finished images via LightRoom & LR2 and then posting in my galleries like this for the past year and never had a problem with them going from 1-2-3-4 before today.

The images are labeled Gabby_Party-1, Gabby_Party-2 and so on, then a second set labled Meade_Party-1, 2, 3 etc.. Can you figure out what the problem is for me because I have them labeled basically as they were shot for the exception of some changes to certain images I wanted in the beginning of the order on purpose (The introduction to the party facility, Guests Arriving etc.) but then the other first 98 images are somewhere down the line in the gallery now too.

The gallery can be found here:
    http://billpador.smugmug.com/gallery/6104746_wcVMF//383583765_zQHWV

ALSO: I can not access my CONTROL PANEL TABS today - I have logged out & back in again several times but still can't get them to work. I can navigate to the Control Panel Page itself but when I click on the tabs ie. NEWS - STATS - SETTINGS _ CUSTOMIZE nothing happens. Are you having a problem right now that is being worked on ???

Thank You
    Bill Pador

Filename sort is a pure alphabetic sort. That means that Gabby_Party-100 sorts before Gabby_Party-2. This is just how alpha sorting works. The two values are equal up until Gabby_Party- and then it compares a 1 with a 2 and the 1 is lower so it goes first. In alpha sort, it doesn't matter if there are more characters after. As soon as one is lower, the sort result is achieved.

The only way to get an alphabetic sort to sort properly when numbers are involved is to generate the numbers so all numbers always have the same number of digits. That means using leading zeros to pad the shorter numbers, Gabby_Party-001, Gabby_Party-002, Gabby_Party-003, etc.... In the above example Gabby_Party-002 would then sort before Gabby_Party-100 like it's supposed to. In fact, the alphabetic sort order would match the numeric sort order.

At this point, your options are to manually reorder the images, find something else to sort by that gives you the result you need or to redo the filenaming with leading zeroes and reupload.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    Ahhh Ha ! Padding the Zeros, THATS what I did last time to make it work (unknowingly Laughing.gif). Now I understand the system, Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me jfriend !

Bill
    New Jersey Photographer
    Professional Photographers Association & National Photoshop Professionals Member
    www.billpador.com
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Bill_Pador wrote:
    Hi Bill,

Your control panel works just fine for me and I'm not aware of anyone else having troubles. Could you try clearing your browser cache and see if that fixes the issue?
    I'm not sure which browser you are using.

To clear your cache in Firefox on Windows, click on "Tools". Then select "Clear Private Data..." There will be a new window pop up. Make sure that the Cache check box is checked and click on the "Clear Private Data Now" button.

To clear your cache in Internet Explorer 7, click on "Tools". It's in the top right corner of the browser. Then select "Internet Options". That's going to open a new window with some options. Make sure that the "General" tab is selected. Then click on "Delete..." under the Browsing History section. That will bring up another window. Locate the "Delete Files..." button and click on that.

If you keep having troubles, please email us at our helpdesk with details on what browser you see this with. Does it happen with both, Firefox and IE?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    Hi Bill,

Your control panel works just fine for me and I'm not aware of anyone else having troubles. Could you try clearing your browser cache and see if that fixes the issue?
    I'm not sure which browser you are using.

To clear your cache in Firefox on Windows, click on "Tools". Then select "Clear Private Data..." There will be a new window pop up. Make sure that the Cache check box is checked and click on the "Clear Private Data Now" button.

To clear your cache in Internet Explorer 7, click on "Tools". It's in the top right corner of the browser. Then select "Internet Options". That's going to open a new window with some options. Make sure that the "General" tab is selected. Then click on "Delete..." under the Browsing History section. That will bring up another window. Locate the "Delete Files..." button and click on that.

If you keep having troubles, please email us at our helpdesk with details on what browser you see this with. Does it happen with both, Firefox and IE?

Sebastian
    Thanks Sebastian, I forgot to mention that it was a problem that fixed itself after a few hours. Maybe a hiccup in my account for a short time I don't know but it was occurring in both IE7 & FF but works fine now and I have full access to my account - ~Bill~
    New Jersey Photographer
    www.billpador.com