First Post in here. Kess in Boots

DerweissehaiDerweissehai Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited October 2, 2008 in People
Hope these aren't to risque' for here. But here goes.

2900824262_41af6521a5.jpg?v=0

2879626881_f7b89e6214_o.jpg

2880460650_596a4a684a_o.jpg

2880777384_377edb3272_o.jpg

C&C's welcome.
7D/40D/XTi/G10/EOS630/50MM 1.8/430/580x2/18-55/28-135/PWx2/Sekonic LM/Tam. 70-200 2.8
Model Site/Portrait Site/Flcikr/MM

Adam

Comments

• thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    The first one is very good but I don't like the fact that I've completely lost her second arm.
    I don't mind the high key effect but there is something I can't articulate about the ones you have done. I think it might be that you have a different kind of filter on it where the blacks aren't dark enough. That's just a personal thing.
    Overall, it comes across as a very professional looking series with a good use of 'fancy lighting stuff' that I haven't had any experience with because I'm poor :(.
    Cheers,
    a.
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    The third one is the only that's worth keeping, in my opinion. And I'm a total fan of modelsin thigh high stilletto boots!

What I don't like about the others is the shadows are very distracting on the first two-- especially on her face in the second. I would suggest you get your key/main light right before going for the high-key look and lighting the background. That part won't matter much if you don't have your model lit properly.

And the pose just doesn't work for my on that last shot. It looks forced and not very flattering-- she's lost her neck completely.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• DerweissehaiDerweissehai Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    The third one is the only that's worth keeping, in my opinion. And I'm a total fan of modelsin thigh high stilletto boots!

What I don't like about the others is the shadows are very distracting on the first two-- especially on her face in the second. I would suggest you get your key/main light right before going for the high-key look and lighting the background. That part won't matter much if you don't have your model lit properly.

And the pose just doesn't work for my on that last shot. It looks forced and not very flattering-- she's lost her neck completely.

Thank you for the critiques. Was my first attempt at high key. Will keep that in mind for the next shoot.
    7D/40D/XTi/G10/EOS630/50MM 1.8/430/580x2/18-55/28-135/PWx2/Sekonic LM/Tam. 70-200 2.8

Adam
    edited October 1, 2008
    Thank you for the critiques. Was my first attempt at high key.

Don't worry too much about the "high key" aspect. Concentrate on getting your lighting on the white background first. Then you can experiment.

A very easy option is an umbrella for a key placed for beauty/butterfly lighting. If your floor is white, it usually kicks up enough reflection for a fill light.

Then I use two umbrellas on the background, metered about a stop hotter than the key. I also like to throw in a rim light, but it's not necessary.

Here's a set-up shot to show you what I'm talking about (I have a boutique client who likes me to shoot at her store, so you can see this will work just about anywhere-- doesn't have to be a studio):

98521617.jpg

One more thing-- and I think we've ALL been there. You have a beautiful model for your original post, you've got sexy clothes/boots... but there's so much more to a photo than that. Lighting, posing, and just the overall mood of the photo are all important. You'll get it if you keep practicing. But for now, you might want to forget about the sexy wardrobe until you are 100-percent certain you can consistently nail a decent shot of ANYONE wearing anything. Then you can start with the sexy wardrobe styling.

I've said this before here but it's worth repeating-- it's a lot harder to shoot decent photos of pretty girls than it looks!

edited October 1, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Don't worry too much about the "high key" aspect. Concentrate on getting your lighting on the white background first. Then you can experiment.

A very easy option is an umbrella for a key placed for beauty/butterfly lighting. If your floor is white, it usually kicks up enough reflection for a fill light.

Then I use two umbrellas on the background, metered about a stop hotter than the key. I also like to throw in a rim light, but it's not necessary.

Here's a set-up shot to show you what I'm talking about (I have a boutique client who likes me to shoot at her store, so you can see this will work just about anywhere-- doesn't have to be a studio):

98521617.jpg

One more thing-- and I think we've ALL been there. You have a beautiful model for your original post, you've got sexy clothes/boots... but there's so much more to a photo than that. Lighting, posing, and just the overall mood of the photo are all important. You'll get it if you keep practicing. But for now, you might want to forget about the sexy wardrobe until you are 100-percent certain you can consistently nail a decent shot of ANYONE wearing anything. Then you can start with the sexy wardrobe styling.

I've said this before here but it's worth repeating-- it's a lot harder to shoot decent photos of pretty girls than it looks!

Pete,

I won't disagree with you one bit. But the lighting system I was using was the novatron 1500. So no actual dialing in of the lights. Has the setting of 250, 750 and 1500 watts. So for me to try and stop down or up the lights..not happening. I use umbrellas on the camera left light. But I thank you for the input and I will work on it more.

Adam

Adam
    edited October 1, 2008
    So for me to try and stop down or up the lights..not happening. I use umbrellas on the camera left light.

Adam:

Move the light farther back, and voila, it's "dialed down". Move it closer, and it's more intense or a brighter f/stop. You can also use ND filters/gels and even diffusion paper over your lights to reduce the intensity without moving them. :D

edited October 1, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Adam:

Move the light farther back, and voila, it's "dialed down". Move it closer, and it's more intense or a brighter f/stop. You can also use ND filters/gels and even diffusion paper over your lights to reduce the intensity without moving them. :D

That I will do the next time I get a paying gig. Full time military and trying to run a business can be tricky. Besides the models have to pay for the studio use not me.

Adam
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    dogwood wrote:

AMEN, brother! 15524779-Ti.gifdeal.gif
    Well said Pete!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    AMEN, brother! 15524779-Ti.gifdeal.gif
    Well said Pete!thumb.gif

Well, it's also a lot harder to shoot pretty birds than it looks rolleyes1.gif