Options

Why can't I see Comment "Link" field data in Admin?

agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
edited October 9, 2008 in SmugMug Support
  1. I had a visitor submit a comment with his website address in the LINK: field at the top of the form. When I reviewed it for approval, there was no link shown. How do I get the link field to display in Owner mode? What happens to the link data when someone puts it into a comment?

I assume that the link data is available for the Owner's eyes only, right? Or is there another purpose? I also understand why the "Link" shouldn't be displayed for other gallery visitors to see but I need to see it as Owner.

2. Also, when I go to Control Panel to review/approve comments, how do I get them to sort with latest comments first, instead of last at the bottom of the list?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Acadiana Al
Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
Blog: Journey to the Light
"Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    1. I had a visitor submit a comment with his website address in the LINK: field at the top of the form. When I reviewed it for approval, there was no link shown. How do I get the link field to display in Owner mode? What happens to the link data when someone puts it into a comment?

I assume that the link data is available for the Owner's eyes only, right? Or is there another purpose? I also understand why the "Link" shouldn't be displayed for other gallery visitors to see but I need to see it as Owner.
    2. Also, when I go to Control Panel to review/approve comments, how do I get them to sort with latest comments first, instead of last at the bottom of the list?
    Hi Al,

1. I don't understand. To which comment do you refer to? I don't see any comment that has a clickable name with the commentors website link that doesn't show for your visitors.

2. I'm afraid, you can't change the sort order. If you use display the comments for 'the last 24 hours', they'll be displayed in the order you're looking for.
    I'll pass your suggestion on as a feature request.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    [/list]Hi Al,

1. I don't understand. To which comment do you refer to? I don't see any comment that has a clickable name with the commentors website link that doesn't show for your visitors.

2. I'm afraid, you can't change the sort order. If you use display the comments for 'the last 24 hours', they'll be displayed in the order you're looking for.
    I'll pass your suggestion on as a feature request.

Sebastian
    1. I am referring to any gallery or photo comment a visitor makes. When they click on New Comment to make one, the popup form shows 4 entry fields at the top, COMMENT ON:, RATING:, NAME:, and LINK: as well as the main comment field. What is LINK: for? One assumes it is for email or site address. Any data typed into this field doesn't display anywhere when I review/approve/view comments left. Please advise on use of LINK: field.
    2. Having the option to reverse sort the comment lists may be of value.
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    1. I am referring to any gallery or photo comment a visitor makes. When they click on New Comment to make one, the popup form shows 4 entry fields at the top, COMMENT ON:, RATING:, NAME:, and LINK: as well as the main comment field. What is LINK: for? One assumes it is for email or site address. Any data typed into this field doesn't display anywhere when I review/approve/view comments left. Please advise on use of LINK: field.
    Bump
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    it's for a link to their website.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    it's for a link to their website.
    Hi, Andy.

That's what I thought. Can it also be an email address?

Problem: I tested it as well as a visitor by inputting a link in the field on a comment. I am not able to see this link, either when I go to approve the comment or if I access my comment list from the control panel. So where is it displayed? How do I see what link the visitor put in?

Thanks.
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    Hi, Andy.

Problem: I tested it as well as a visitor by inputting a link in the field on a comment. I am not able to see this link, either when I go to approve the comment or if I access my comment list from the control panel. So where is it displayed? How do I see what link the visitor put in?

Thanks.
    Bump
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    Hi, Andy.

Thanks.
    Bump again. Does anyone have an answer?
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    I don't have comment moderation turned on, they are posted directly to my site, so this may not entirely answer your question. If the person entered their link correctly their name will be underlined when the comment is posted to your site. Hover your mouse over their name and look at the bottom of your browser window, where it shows the website or e-mail address that is linked.

There are two linked examples on the first page of my guestbook if you want to test it out. The first one is linked to an e-mail address and the second is linked to a website.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    I don't have comment moderation turned on, they are posted directly to my site, so this may not entirely answer your question. If the person entered their link correctly their name will be underlined when the comment is posted to your site. Hover your mouse over their name and look at the bottom of your browser window, where it shows the website or e-mail address that is linked.

There are two linked examples on the first page of my guestbook if you want to test it out. The first one is linked to an e-mail address and the second is linked to a website.
    Hi, Lori. Thanks for your reply. I looked at your two examples and then tested my comments again. I was able to get my email link xxx@gmail.com to work and display. But could never get my website link to display. I tried agallia.com, www.agallia.com, http://agallia.com, http://www.agallia.com but none ever worked...no link displayed with name. What am I doing wrong?
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    Well Al, I think it might be broken! eek7.gif

I couldn't figure out how to get a link to take either...and the one person with the e-mail link on my guestbook is not the most computer literate, so it can't be that difficult rolleyes1.gif

This is actually the first time I checked out how the comment function worked from the guest side (if I were to comment on your site my name and link is automatically inserted because I'm logged in). I have to say that the spam blocker challenge thing is absolutely horrible! It's so tiny I could barely read it, and my eyes aren't that old yet. That would certainly limit people from commenting.

Since no else seems to be responding to your thread, I'll post in the bug reporting thread and see what I can find out.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Well Al, I think it might be broken! eek7.gif

I couldn't figure out how to get a link to take either...and the one person with the e-mail link on my guestbook is not the most computer literate, so it can't be that difficult rolleyes1.gif

This is actually the first time I checked out how the comment function worked from the guest side (if I were to comment on your site my name and link is automatically inserted because I'm logged in). I have to say that the spam blocker challenge thing is absolutely horrible! It's so tiny I could barely read it, and my eyes aren't that old yet. That would certainly limit people from commenting.

Since no else seems to be responding to your thread, I'll post in the bug reporting thread and see what I can find out.
    Thanks, Lori. As I said, the "link" works okay with a email address but not with a website address. I tried everything when logged out. To me, this is an important item...being able to leave an internet address. Otherwise, let's change "Link" to "Email Address" so guests know what to do. And yes the spam blocker is very hard to read and probably "turns off" guests trying to leave a comment.

Please let me know if there is a fix. Thanks again.
    Acadiana Al