Senior shoot part 2

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited October 2, 2008 in People
Just wanted to share some more photos from the session. I am using the patch tool that was suggested in my first post of this series. Let me know how you think the skin looks.

382828117_g8EfP-L.jpg
383584962_aaGEe-L.jpg
skin better?

383582785_wMMH3-L.jpg
383649720_aXUFA-L.jpg
383859411_d4t22-L.jpg
383858777_JmFQD-L.jpg
Hands not working here....I know
384057536_UbYdR-L.jpg
384057505_JW8Pu-L.jpg

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    I like these sooooo much better than the first set!! My faves are 4, 5 and 8. Skin does look better in these.

I really like the neg space in #1 just think it needs straightened a bit to align with the verticals.

Very very nice!!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    The skin looks much better in this setthumb.gif Looking at#2 though, there's something that looks a little off about her right cheek. I don't know if it's your post processing or something else. There appears to be a pair of parallel curves running from her eye to the corner of her mouth. I see it again (though not quite so pronounced) in 3 and 7.

#1 doesn't do much for me, but I really clap.gif like 2, 4, 5, and 7 (though I'm not quite sure about cutting off her elbow).

Bottom line - I think this set is so much better than the first that it's almost like I'm seeing the work of two different photograpers.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I like these sooooo much better than the first set!! My faves are 4, 5 and 8. Skin does look better in these.

I really like the neg space in #1 just think it needs straightened a bit to align with the verticals.

Very very nice!!!!

I liked #1 too...I'll straighten it up a bit.

Thanks for your input amd encouragement. It's helping me to get better. :D
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    The skin looks much better in this setthumb.gif Looking at#2 though, there's something that looks a little off about her right cheek. I don't know if it's your post processing or something else. There appears to be a pair of parallel curves running from her eye to the corner of her mouth. I see it again (though not quite so pronounced) in 3 and 7.

#1 doesn't do much for me, but I really clap.gif like 2, 4, 5, and 7 (though I'm not quite sure about cutting off her elbow).

Bottom line - I think this set is so much better than the first that it's almost like I'm seeing the work of two different photograpers.

I'll have to look really close again to see if I can see anything here. ne_nau.gif

I did try to take into account the cropping so that it didn't place her directly in the center. I think you may have suggested that she was in the first set.

I did get a referral from this session already so any CC given on these will definetly be taken into account when I do the next one. wings.gif

Thanks Scott for the CC and encouragement
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    I agree this set is 100% better. I would point out though that her shoulders are very square to the camera in all except #3. Setting her up at an angle to the camera is a good thing.

Square to camera or not, I really like #8.thumb.gif
    edited October 1, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I agree this set is 100% better. I would point out though that her shoulders are very square to the camera in all except #3. Setting her up at an angle to the camera is a good thing.

Square to camera or not, I really like #8.thumb.gif

So, my goal is to have one shoulder or the other angled away from the camera? Just checking. This girls Best friend talked to me tonight and I've got her booked towards the end of the month. She wants some similar stuff as this girls....but different, something no one else will have. ne_nau.gifeek7.gif I'm going to have to do some more homework to get more ideas. Laughing.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    So, my goal is to have one shoulder or the other angled away from the camera? Just checking. This girls Best friend talked to me tonight and I've got her booked towards the end of the month. She wants some similar stuff as this girls....but different, something no one else will have. ne_nau.gifeek7.gif I'm going to have to do some more homework to get more ideas. Laughing.gif
    Generally speaking, square on to the camera is not flattering to anyone. It can be a more confrontational pose. Turning your model slightly away from the camera does a number of things. Maybe the most important thing is that it has a slimming effect for those that think they need it. It also provides an opportunity to turn the head back towards the camera - putting a little more tension/action into the shot.

If you haven't read Jeff's tute, here's a link (good stuff....)
    http://jkmann.smugmug.com/gallery/6057673_NvijZ

A few threads on DGrin that might help:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=893
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=14064

The following are just a few links returned by a quick google - some are better than others.
    http://www.scrapjazz.com/topics/Photography/Lessons/678.php
    http://www.photos-of-the-year.com/pose/
    http://www.photographytips.com/page.cfm/371
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/3211116/Photography-Posing-Tips-Techniques

HTH
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008

Scott's reply was right-on about shoulders.

As for variety and originality from shoot to shoot.....that is really nothing to stress about. A different location will cure that....and even if it is the same location I challenge you to try and shoot one photo that is IDENTICLE to one from this set. You MIGHT pull it off if you try, but if you are just going with the flow of the shoot it will likely never happen.

Again....nice work here...and a BIG improvement!thumb.gif
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Nice Work Julie, though I agree with some of the others comments. I am also new to seniors and it is a huge learning process! It's great you got a referral already woo hoo! clap.gif The only suggestion I have about the skin is it looks a bit "lumpy" I use a photoshop plugin called portraiture that works really well for that. You can apply varying degrees to the skin to help soften everything then lower the opacity in the layer to your liking. Maybe you have it already but if not, check it out. I couldn't live without it! Other than that the only other comment I have ( and this is probably just my personal taste) is the softness. I pretty much use unsharp mask at 75% 2 and 3 for most photos and it works really well and isn't too obvious. Good luck on your next shoots! I hope you don't mind I played a bit, been kinda bored. This has portaiture added.

385687258_xRSsg-L.jpg
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!