iso 1600

lukiedukielukiedukie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited May 3, 2005 in People
i have been experimenting withmy manual settings mostly the shutter speed. I took this photo using 1/30 with iso 1600 of my son. He was sitting pretty still watching his friend elmo. I tried to capture the natural light coming in from the window but the iso 1600 made it grainy. What other settings could i have used to get the same effect without the graininess?

Comments

• USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    lukiedukie
    Nice image looks like sepia to me
    Very cute he looks very intense clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Might be able to use noise software on the photo like Noise Ninja,Neat Image and Helicon Noise Filter

Thanks
    Fred
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    You mentioned only two out of the three exposure variables. What was the aperture setting?

And it looks like you did a fair amount of post process brightening. Is that true?
    lukiedukie wrote:
    i have been experimenting withmy manual settings mostly the shutter speed. I took this photo using 1/30 with iso 1600 of my son. He was sitting pretty still watching his friend elmo. I tried to capture the natural light coming in from the window but the iso 1600 made it grainy. What other settings could i have used to get the same effect without the graininess?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Cute shot.

As to eliminating noise with 1600. Not going to happen. You'll even notice slight noise with 800, albeit if shot right, you really have to look.

If you wanted to capture the natural light without noise, you would need either a fast lens like the 50 1.4 or a lens with IS. The fast lens will let more light in for a faster shutter speed and less need for higher ISO and the IS allows for a slower shutter speed to allow light in and less chance of blur from camera shake.. I figured a tripod was out of the question since this didn't look posed.

Also, if you shoot in RAW, you can eliminate some noise in post processing.

I use noise ninja. I generally only use it on portrait shots since a quality lens tends to pick up too much and noise ninja helps soften.

Sometimes noise is nice. Remember when we used to like old grainy photos because they looked like they had character?
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    I think the grain adds to this photo. But you can use a product like noise ninja to help reduce the grain.

Lee
  • Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Great capture !
    lukiedukie wrote:
    Hi Lukiedukie !
    I like the light and the expression on your sons face !thumb.gif
    Great Capture !

I even kinda like the grain.

There is a shareware noise reduction program, called "The Helicon Filter"

Get it here:
    http://heliconfilter.com/pages/index.php?id=446

Bye,
    Peter Dumont