photo pick

quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited October 2, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am a bit torn on sticking with the photos that best conveys "dusk" for me and the ones that are possibly more visually interesting. What do you all think?

#1.
384283720_5RSBF-M.jpg

384282487_ibgmw-M-1.jpg

384283320_BEgAf-M-1.jpg

384289962_LykoH-M.jpg
heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
facebook
photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.

Comments

• AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    IMO whilst perhaps visually more interesting 1 & 3 don't say "dusk" or "dawn" to me. 4 might hint at dawn/dusk from the light on the mountain but overall the light seems too strong (once again IMO).

Peter
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Looks like it was a great morning. I like 2 and 3. Good luck!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Can i just say how envious I am of all you folks in gorgeous locations where there's something dawn/dusk-y (and visually magnificent) to photograph?! Geez. I have to drive an hour to find a lighthouse in the rain (either that, or figure out a way to make boring suburban houses look purty. But that would require LIGHT, which is something we aren't getting much of round here right now since it never seems to stop raining!)

Anyway, enough whining from me (and yes, I'm loving every minute of it despite my whinging!:D). Lovely shots all round! I like #2 and #3 the best, with #2 gettting the edge for more dawn/dusk-ish light and thus more thematic.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    You chose wisely. thumb.gif Nice shot!!!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    for this theme i would choose #2, besides its gorgeous
    Aaron Nelson
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    All of these are lovely, but #2 is the real winner for me.
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Thanks all!
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    #2 has the quality of light that best says dusk to me. It's warmer than the others, which feel to me more like early morning than late afternoon (but that still fits the theme perfectly).

To be honest, I like all the shots.

#1 feels like a real adventure. It has foreground, middle and background interest and the clarity of it draws my eye in and around the bank of the lake where it settles to look at the mountain and its reflection. Lovely shot.

#2 Just great tones and nice tight composition. There's a nicel contrast with the cool of the bottom right against the warmth of the top left and real feeling of depth as the tones change on each mountain. A good example of chiaroscuro and the balance and harmony that comes with it. For me, this is the standout of this group.

#3 Similar to #1, but the darkness of the foreground stops my eye from naturally moving there and I find that my look is stuck a little on the right side where the mountain is. Still pleasant, but my eye doesn't flow around this frame like it does with #1.

#4 Again, lovely quality to the light and I can feel the warmth in the foreground. Nice clarity as well and a good feeling of depth with the foreground and then the mountain in the distance. Overall nice and my only reservation about the image is that almost half the frame is clear blue sky with little interest there. Some clouds would really lift this image to the next level and provide interest in all parts of the frame. Since that isn't possible this round, I'd drop this one from consideration and then switch the sky out and print the image big to sell as a print.

Hope my 0.02 helps.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate