Football Standing or Kneeling?

David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
edited October 6, 2008 in Sports
I realize that many organizations require you to kneel on their sidelines for football. I am looking at what works best for most of you, requirement or not. Standing or kneeling?? The field I work at most of the
time has a huge hump and kneeling doesn't obviously work for me on far side especially with a 200. However on the sidelines coming at me sounds like it would work best to get under the helmet. Any ideas or personal preferences and why would help greatly..

David Evertsen
www.phabulousphotos.com

Comments

• KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    The old adage is that shots taken from a seated or kneeling position (looking slightly up at the player) make the athlete look more heroic.

If I'm not moving around a lot on the sidelines, I always try to shoot that way.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    I agree with Kent.

The only time I stand is if I'm shooting with flash setup on monopod (I stand so I can elongate the monopod and have more distance to remove red-eye) or if my knees just get too sore from a long day (yeah, OK I'll admit it :D )
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Helmet
    Kneeling also gets you under the helmet looking up, (better shot at the eyes), and standing (especially with kids), you get the tops of their helmet.
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    How important is the whole "getting under the helmet" idea and elongating the distance between camera and flash (when using flash on the monopod) if the players aren't using helmets?

I'm covering a flag football game and I'm renting a 70-200 f/2.8 lens and SB-800 flash for the event. I'm going to play with the flash mounting as soon as I get the equipment, and I'm hoping to get some test shots before the actual game, but I'm always interested in opinions, especially from those who know what they're doing!!!

Thanks,
    Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    How important is the whole "getting under the helmet" idea and elongating the distance between camera and flash (when using flash on the monopod) if the players aren't using helmets?

Nick

Well the helmet plays no part in red-eye. That's what you're trying to prevent by getting the flash as far away from the camera as possible.
  • David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Thanks Everyone
    KMCC wrote:
    The old adage is that shots taken from a seated or kneeling position (looking slightly up at the player) make the athlete look more heroic.

If I'm not moving around a lot on the sidelines, I always try to shoot that way.

I am going to kneel more on my shots.. Got some really great ones last night and I was not shooting the top of the heads... Now I have to figure out the flash thing... Thanks again everyone..

David Evertsen
    www.phabulousphotos.com
  • South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    I am going to kneel more on my shots.. Got some really great ones last night and I was not shooting the top of the heads... Now I have to figure out the flash thing... Thanks again everyone..

David Evertsen
    www.phabulousphotos.com

Um, dude, why not a little bit of both? Heck for that matter, how about laying down on a couple, and turning the camera diagonal too. That's what I so love about digital. Shoot freely and review your findings later.

Rob
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    AMEN! I'm going to have to be very creative when I shoot. Sadly, the team is already shelling out for the refs, etc. so I was shot down on my proposal: aka, all I have then is my D40 and an 18-55 lens. If I get lucky, I might end up borrowing a 55-200, but I doubt that is gonna happen.

So, wish me luck, but I think I'm gonna end up frustrated on the sidelines this time. I hope you have better luck than I do!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
    edited October 2, 2008
    Um, dude, why not a little bit of both? Heck for that matter, how about laying down on a couple, and turning the camera diagonal too. That's what I so love about digital. Shoot freely and review your findings later.

Rob

Exactly, I don't shoot with a Monopod but I have a belt mounted flash... Need to work on a better mount, but shot last week with one and will continue after their bye week..

David Evertsen
    www.phabulousphotos.com
  • ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    thought I'd throw in one more vote for down low. I've been trying out hand holding my 300mm 2.8 lens and sitting on the ground for football the last couple of games. no flash. I figure the lens has VR (I have Nikon stuff), it may as well do some work. Just takes a lot of advil after the game for my little girly arms to recover from all that weight. and I have to jump up fast to avoid being trampled if there's a long play and the entire team comes galumphing down the field in celebration...
  • schlpicschlpic Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Exactly, I don't shoot with a Monopod but I have a belt mounted flash... Need to work on a better mount, but shot last week with one and will continue after their bye week..

A belt mounted flash--now that sounds interesting! I like the idea of the flash on the monood, but I change frequently from standing to kneeling positions and move around too much to feel comfortable dragging a monopod with me. And occasionally you need to move quickly to get out of the way of the action that ends up on top of you the sidelines!!! Is this belt flash something you rigged up yourself? Please share!
    edited October 5, 2008
    [/QUOTE]A belt mounted flash--now that sounds interesting! I like the idea of the flash on the monood, but I change frequently from standing to kneeling positions and move around too much to feel comfortable dragging a monopod with me. And occasionally you need to move quickly to get out of the way of the action that ends up on top of you the sidelines!!! Is this belt flash something you rigged up yourself? Please share![/QUOTE]

I have a Tamrac belt and system for my 200 lense and camera. Also have the medium lens accesory for the belt as well as a water bottle holder. I have seen the threads on the web about the monopod mounted flash and thought about that. I don't really like to use a monopod and was thinking about what to do. So was at a game a few weeks ago (sans flash) and saw a real pro with flash on the belt. He stands up and I was at the time but took the water bottle holder moved it over my right leg and bought a 3 ft flash cable and strapped it to the soft water holder outside Just a rubber band like device. Did not stick it in it. I was not kneeling at the time but it did work well till the batteries died. (My fault got some rechargeable nimh) So I have to further refine it. I think it will work fine kneeling if I can get the right pose.. Standing it worked great.

David
    www.phaboulousphotos.com
  • schlpicschlpic Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Thanks for sharing David!!