Thoughts on voting structure - Mega Challenges

VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited October 2, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I wondered if, for Mega Challenges only, we could have a different type of voting.

Where I understand this type of procedure might take a bit more time from the judges it's my hope that a more structured type of judging could be implemented - giving a better understanding of the critique and a more in depth thought process to each photo as well as it being more fair across the board to each participant.

Here's my thoughts: Mega Challenges are not open for a public vote, therefore it's solely upon the judges to pick only 1 winner. I'm sure this is agonizing to each judge to find the best possible photos or even narrow it down as well as having to critique each photo and I realize that it takes a whole lot of valuable time away from your families and life outside the 'net.

How about instituting a panel made up of the components of each photo to give points to? For every photo it's the same system - broken down like this:

Judging photos based upon:

1. Lighting
2. Angle
3. Subject Matter
4. Theme relevance
5. Focus
6. ?

Each component would be rated between 1 and 5 or 1 and 10.... then the points added up for each photo - with the winner having the most points.

For me, there is a lot at stake in the Mega Challenges - I enter the DSS challenges to better myself and enjoy the feedback immensely, but the main reason for entering them is to get into a Mega Challenge with the hopes of walking away with a new camera(to help me get famous? or be able to open a photography business?) and a lifetime Pro Smugmug account(which I could never afford with my salary). I feel that a more structured voting system would be the fairest way and best of all, it would allow for an extremely clear view of exactly what each photographer needs to work on based upon the number given to each component of their photo - because in the end, really, all we want is to be the best we can be.

Please chime in your thoughts....

Respectfully,

Heidi

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:

Here's my thoughts: Mega Challenges are not open for a public vote, therefore it's solely upon the judges to pick only 1 winner. I'm sure this is agonizing to each judge to find the best possible photos or even narrow it down as well as having to critique each photo and I realize that it takes a whole lot of valuable time away from your families and life outside the 'net.
    Heidi

the judges are using a points system, didnt you see the results?
    i dont understand how anybody would think the current system is broke and needs reform...

besides, im not even sure if a camera is going to be the prize for the next Mega Challenge...didnt you notice they have not annouced anything for the next mega?

p.s. threads like this ruined LPS.... so i would suggest you might not want to push any issues....
    Aaron Nelson
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Uh Oh, lets not go there

This thread should be deleted ASAP
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 1, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    I'm sure this is agonizing to each judge to find the best possible photos or even narrow it down as well as having to critique each photo and I realize that it takes a whole lot of valuable time away from your families and life outside the 'net.
    So if it's already 'agonizing' you want to make even more structured and difficult for them? ne_nau.gif

We're never going to ask volunteer judges to adhere to anything more strict than "please use your best judgment and select the best photos".

Heidi, I'm a scientist, I understand your desire for structure and order, but as someone who's been doing these challenges for a little while, let me assure you, it will never be perfect and structured. It is: subjective, artistic, yes, even a bit random. Embrace it. Relax. Enjoy photography.

EDIT: on the learning end, yes this is important, but you know there's other forums here at dgrin, right? Have you been whipped? Do you peruse the technique forum where they cover very specific aspects? We can't do everything in the challenges. If we break it down into little lessons and specific little stuff, it's not the challenges anymore. There is some element to learning on your own here.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008

p.s. threads like this ruined LPS.... so i would suggest you might not want to push any issues....

I wasn't aware that the prizes changed for each challenge.... my fault, as I only assumed.

This isn't a thread to attack anyone - I was only posting my thoughts on the subject. I am not trying to push anything, either... as I am new here, I have not had the experience of the other challenges so please don't think I'm wading in here with both fists thinking anything is unfair.

I just happened to have thought of another way of voting.... if it's not a good idea, so be it. I just didn't want to sit on my idea had it been a good one.
    edited October 1, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So if it's already 'agonizing' you want to make even more structured and difficult for them? ne_nau.gif

We're never going to ask volunteer judges to adhere to anything more strict than "please use your best judgment and select the best photos".

Heidi, I'm a scientist, I understand your desire for structure and order, but as someone who's been doing these challenges for a little while, let me assure you, it will never be perfect and structured. It is: subjective, artistic, yes, even a bit random. Embrace it. Relax. Enjoy photography.

EDIT: on the learning end, yes this is important, but you know there's other forums here at dgrin, right? Have you been whipped? Do you peruse the technique forum where they cover very specific aspects? We can't do everything in the challenges. If we break it down into little lessons and specific little stuff, it's not the challenges anymore. There is some element to learning on your own here.

Erik,

I understand exactly what you are saying - truly. As I get into these challenges more and more, I realize how much I need to adhere to a more structured form to be able to excel more quickly. It's like I feel hungry, then I'm starving and can't get enough... I keep gobbling, gobbling, gobbling and I'm never full. :D
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 1, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    It's like I feel hungry, then I'm starving and can't get enough... I keep gobbling, gobbling, gobbling and I'm never full. :D
    which is why point out, again:

- the whipping post thumb.gifthumb.gif
    - Nik's technique assignments thumb.gif

Also, as I thought about this more, let me put it another way: By providing critiques, most of the judges are in fact addressing your points on lighting, composition, etc... but they get to do it in their style, and their pace. We have judges who list, and point, and rank (the scientists and organizers). We also have judges who are gut-feeling artists, they just send a list and their feelings. We need both, therefore, I would never feel right forcing a more structured approach.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited October 1, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    which is why point out, again:

- the whipping post thumb.gifthumb.gif
    - Nik's technique assignments thumb.gif

Also, as I thought about this more, let me put it another way: By providing critiques, most of the judges are in fact addressing your points on lighting, composition, etc... but they get to do it in their style, and their pace. We have judges who list, and point, and rank (the scientists and organizers). We also have judges who are gut-feeling artists, they just send a list and their feelings. We need both, therefore, I would never feel right forcing a more structured approach.

I appreciate your post, Erik. thumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:

This isn't a thread to attack anyone - I was only posting my thoughts on the subject. I am not trying to push anything, either... as I am new here, I have not had the experience of the other challenges so please don't think I'm wading in here with both fists thinking anything is unfair.
    oh we all know your not starting an attack!
    im just doing my best to point specific things out. (i just hope its taken in good light) im not say'n your ideas are not good. i just know everyone has them and if everyone starts in again like last time im sure it wont go well....

as for the prize i dont know either, i just noticed that advertisements are missing where they once were...so its best i dont assume anything either...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited October 1, 2008
    oh we all know your not starting an attack!
    im just doing my best to point specific things out. (i just hope its taken in good light) im not say'n your ideas are not good. i just know everyone has them and if everyone starts in again like last time im sure it wont go well....

as for the prize i dont know either, i just noticed that advertisements are missing where they once were...so its best i dont assume anything either...

Thanks for the clarification, Aaron. :D

I appreciate the info on what's happened before - point taken.
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008

They're still listed in the rules post, here.

So assuming that is still current, I can't say thanks enough to B&H (I do all my online photography shopping there) and to Smugmug.

[EDIT: Now that Emily has answered and adjusted the text of the rules thread, ignore my point above...except for the thanks to B&H and Smugmug. That bit still stands].

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    The prize for the next Mega Challenge has yet to be determined. I'll let you know once we've got confirmation, but I do know it'll be sweet. :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6