Anybody need parts for a 35mm f/2.0 lens?

darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
edited October 1, 2008 in House of Canon
Ugh. At the end of February I bought a 35mm f/2.0 lens off of eBay back in $195. Turns out I should've splurged on the additional $45 and bought it new.

The lens performed flawlessly for 6 months, but recently the focusing mechanism locked up. I considered sending it to Sacramento for repairs (minimum $100 just to open it up, I figured it would end up being $200 when all was said and done, which after shipping I figured would pretty much be the replacement cost.)

So... finding this guide online, I decided to open'er up and try to fix it myself:

http://web.mit.edu/cjoye/www/photo/0603_35mmLens/

Alas, my problem was not solved by just loosening/retightening one bracket.

A co-worker who has done a lot of work with older (all metal) lenses said that with metal lenses you could take them apart, oil things to fix them, etc. But with plastic assemblies, once something gets askew, you're pretty much screwed.

So... I'm going to write this off. He thinks I could get maybe $75 on eBay if I put everything back together and just sell it as-is ("Focus broken -- don't know what's wrong. Bargain if you can fix it!"). I figured I'd offer it up here first.

And does anybody have a 35mm f/2.0 that still has any warranty left on it? Man, guess I should've gotten a bigger camera bag as I left this lens on *a lot* in the past 6 months and the failure was probably due to it "sitting" on the focusing mechanism inside my crammed little Tamron bag. :-{

Comments

• i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    This exact problem has occurred TWICE to my dad's 18-55. Luckily he paid for that extended warranty @ Best Buy and has gotten 2 lens replacements because they couldn't fix it. The problem (same as you) is that when in his tiny case the lens sits directly against the bottom and the body's weight sits against it everywhere you go.

When I use it I just take it apart - 15 seconds of putting body caps on is way easier that fooling with getting it replaced/repaired.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler