Help for #9...Learning Curve

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited October 2, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I just started taking a digital photography course and I've been using the challenges to help practice. This one really scared me, but I ventured over to the state park across the street and shot for about 45 minutes this evening. It was great practice. I took tons of the same scene and kept varying the exposures, aperatures and shutter speeds, practiced bracketing and using horizontal vs vertical scenes. I shot in both RAW and JPG so that if anything was worthy I could submit the JPG in the challenge and use the RAW images for my class. I posted my 5 favorite right out of the camera, I didn't even bother to resize (actually I couldn't post my favorite because the horizon is way off level - I'm going to straighten it out and use it for class). The pictures look pretty different on my monitor vs. my husbands so if you think something is too dark or light I do have different exposures of the same photo since I bracketed. I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions. Thanks - I love this forum.

Stephanie

[IMG][/img]384723305_tXbT6-XL.jpg

[IMG][/img]384724693_RkYpf-XL.jpg

[IMG][/img]384725465_Vveff-XL.jpg

[IMG][/img]384726386_itsFk-XL.jpg

[IMG][/img]384726940_3Gp7R-XL.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    I lean towards #4 and #5. I like #2 as well, but #4 won out for me because the bridge isn't quite so centered, so the composition is better to my eye. Beautiful location - nice shots!
  • idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    I agree with divamum above, I like the color in 2-3, but the comp in 4 is much better, although I think 4 is a bit crooked. I do like 5, but the horizon is a bit to centered I think. IMO.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    #4 for methumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 1, 2008
    I like 4 and 5 too. thumb.gif
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    You have a great eye and a great location. #4 for me.
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    I have to say #4 for me as well, at least for the composition and calm feel of the shot.

I really like the quality of the light in the first 3 shots. Its warmth is really nice. It just envelopes me when I look at the images, particularly with #1.

#4 has a colder, more distant feel to it, but the composition is a standout.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    #4 for me as well. I like the reflections a lot.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Thanks everyone for your comments!!! I'm going to go with #4 for now. I had so much fun last night though that I think I'm going to go back again to the area tonight. Possibly Saturday morning also to try and catch it at dawn since I have to be up for a 7:30AM hockey game anyway.

Stephanie