Fall reflection

sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited October 2, 2008 in Landscapes
My first post - I stopped on the way home from work yesterday and took this picture. It was taken close to sundown near a pond on th HP campus in Fort Collins Colorado. Comments and suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
http://sbarge.smugmug.com

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    gorgeous colors and reflection... sky's a bit bright, bit that's not a serious problem, and easy to correct with a grad ND filter.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Welcome! That's a great subject (I'm psyched for Fall!), my only suggestion would be to wait for better light (front light closer to sunrise or sunset). The light above the horizon is significantly brighter than the light below, so you may want to use a graduated ND filter (if you have one), or blend multiple exposures in Photoshop.
  • sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions!
  • Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Hi neighbor

NIce reflection... nice photo. Didn't know that you could drive around the HP place. I try to get up to Ft. Collins a few times a year. Lots of great little places to go "with camera".

Thanks for sharin'
    wave.gif
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    squirl033 wrote:
    gorgeous colors and reflection... sky's a bit bright, bit that's not a serious problem, and easy to correct with a grad ND filter.

IMO the light is excellent -- it's just catching the tops of the trees so you can't get much closer to sunrise or sunset than that mwink.gif

What I would have done though is shoot it with a 1-stop or 2-stop graduated ND filter. That would more closely balance the sky with the reflection in the lake (typically, a reflection loses about 2 stops of light).

All is not lost, though -- if this was shot in RAW you could run the same photo through ACR, and process it 1 or 2 stops differently and merge the 2 shots in Photoshop... that would work just fine. Marc's a pro at this.
  • sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Thanks again!
    Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. It sounds like I need to get a graduated ND filter! And I will try some additional postprocessing on my RAW image to correct the light on the horizon.