Sunset at Second Beach (Olympic National Park)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited October 4, 2008 in Landscapes
Took Monday afternoon off from work to catch a sunset at Second Beach (9 hour drive round-trip - yeah - I'm crazy). The summer won't end (give me some crappy rainy overcast weather already!), so I figured I'd take advantage as long as it continues to overstay its welcome.

This was the first time I had shot a sunset at Second Beach (usually I go to its cousin about 40 miles away, Ruby Beach, but wanted to try something different). There was no one else there taking photos, so I'm offering these an exclusive :D

#1:

384842573_kzQgR-L.jpg

384843695_ZdmAZ-L.jpg

#3:

384848166_kDYcT-L.jpg

#4:

384849222_VxM2j-L.jpg

#5 (Doofus):

384849885_r7aeZ-L.jpg

Comments

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Such a lovely set! bowdown.gif

I love the color and stillness in all, but the light crowning the rock in #2 is extra sweet. thumb.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    As usual, all these are absolutely beautiful. Like Schmoo, I particularly like #2. The silhouetting of the rock by the sun and then the glow that comes out from that is stunning.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Thanks for the comments!

Here's another shot with the same subject as #2, I couldn't really decide between them, I chose #2 because of the reflection, but I kind of like this other one too:

384844656_xViGM-L.jpg

I tried some shots with a slice of the sun peaking out from the rock (similar to #1), but I liked the glow effect better.

The colors were so ridiculous that I actually had to desaturate them when I post-processed. I also lucked out on the clouds, I didn't think there would be any, but they showed up just in time.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    That's it I'm moving to Washington.rolleyes1.gif Beautiful Ron thumb.gif
  • JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Absolutely gorgeous! clap.gif

I've said it before and I'll say til we move back, I miss the PNW! :cry

Thank you for sharing. :D
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Nice!

#4 is my fave by a long shot.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Amazing shots, Ron!!! thumb.gif

But there's a problem... I can't decide whether I like #2 or #4 better?! I think the original one you posted for #2 is hands down better than the second version, the reflection really sells it!!

The only compromise I can come up with between 2 and 4 is that I would just have to go ahead and frame them both!! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    WOW, these are incredible photographs. Actually, some of the nicest beach sunset pictures I ever remember seeing. Just spectacular. What awesome colors and detail you captured!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited October 2, 2008
    Thanks!
    dlplumer wrote:
    That's it I'm moving to Washington. Beautiful Ron

Thanks Dan, lots of good stuff up here, but there's a lot of good stuff in the southwest too, but unfortunately, that's a longer drive for me :D
    JavaLover wrote:
    Absolutely gorgeous!

I've said it before and I'll say til we move back, I miss the PNW!

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the comments, I really feel fortunate to be so close to these places, these day-trips are like mini-vacations, I had a smile on my face the entire time I was out there, and was rewarded with a great sunset.
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Amazing shots, Ron!!!

But there's a problem... I can't decide whether I like #2 or #4 better?! I think the original one you posted for #2 is hands down better than the second version, the reflection really sells it!!

The only compromise I can come up with between 2 and 4 is that I would just have to go ahead and frame them both!!

Thanks, I think I agree with you that the first #2 is better than the other one. It seems like there's two "peaks" for beach sunsets, right when the sun is on the horizon (and you can get some glow or star shots like #2), then there's a brief lull, and then the colors just start to get ridiculous (like #4).
    ront wrote:
    WOW, these are incredible photographs. Actually, some of the nicest beach sunset pictures I ever remember seeing. Just spectacular. What awesome colors and detail you captured!!

Ron

Thanks, it was probably the best sunset I had seen at Olympic National Park (and I've been there 5-6 times before at Ruby Beach), with the colors and the clouds and the reflections. There are so many composition possibilities at Second Beach too, rocks and sea stacks galore.
    CatOne wrote:
    Nice!

#4 is my fave by a long shot.

Thanks! I think I like #2 the best, #4 is right behind it though.
  • bskaranbskaran Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    this is a very nice series.clap.gif
    I like the 2nd shot the best.
    Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    Think I like 2,4,5 the most. Nice colors.
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Definately worth the drive! clap.gif You got some really wonderful shots.

I live up in Everett - it's a relief to have some rain today so I don't have to feel quite so guilty for not getting out to photographically exploit all the wonderful 'indian summer' nights we've had.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Took Monday afternoon off from work to catch a sunset at Second Beach (9 hour drive round-trip - yeah - I'm crazy). The summer won't end (give me some crappy rainy overcast weather already!), so I figured I'd take advantage as long as it continues to overstay its welcome.

Awesome!!

9 hours?! Where were you driving from??

>.> I am gonna head to Ruby beach in November.. I wanna try t get to this spot too!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited October 4, 2008
    Definately worth the drive! You got some really wonderful shots.

I live up in Everett - it's a relief to have some rain today so I don't have to feel quite so guilty for not getting out to photographically exploit all the wonderful 'indian summer' nights we've had.

No kidding, though guilt is a pretty good motivator :D I'm glad we're finally getting some fall weather, when it's overcast, you can really shoot the whole day (as long as you don't mind not including the sky in your photos, but it's great for macro, rivers, waterfalls, etc.).
    Awesome!!

9 hours?! Where were you driving from??

>.> I am gonna head to Ruby beach in November.. I wanna try t get to this spot too!

That's from Seattle (about 4.5 hours each way). The reason it's so long is you have to drive around the Olympic Mountains, there's no road that goes through them. I went counter-clockwise (ferry from Edmonds to Kingston, drove from Kingston through Port Angeles to Forks, and the returned through Aberdeen, Olympia, Tacoma, etc.).