Ms. V and her daughters

CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
edited October 3, 2008 in People
Ms. V's oldest daughter is leaving to Ireland for nearly a year right after Thanksgiving (Canadian that is) and wanted some pictures of all of them together before she left. She was really into the black and white images, although I did give her colour and b&w options for each photo.

This shoot was the first shoot I've done with nearly complete strangers, I met Ms. V at the lab I worked at over the summer (she was just a customer) and we got chatting, and she asked if I would take some pics of her and her girls. So it was VERY nerve-racking to say the least. So the days leading up to the shoot her and I had discussed what she wanted, where we were going to go, clothing changes and so on... Then WHILE we were shooting she changed what she wanted completely and all that so totally threw me off my 'game' lol Plus the girls just weren't into it, but I think for wanting to be elsewhere or sleeping in a Sunday morning they did pretty well. (Sorry, just a wee bit of a vent!) Anyway, here's what we got. C&C always welcome!

2897250079_3af19edcb2.jpg

2897250407_71334ed1c7.jpg
Eeek! I know Miss. Blonde's hair wonky! (All morning it was! she had the 'messy rocker' type doo going!)

2897251091_361f855988.jpg

2898095312_1aed77d624.jpg
Younger daughter, very last shot of the day.

2906089439_ea62841395.jpg
Daughter who is leaving... Goodness she was so pale and blonde, mixed with the what was supposed to be overcast sunlight but wasnt lol, I had a really tough time!
"Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
-Marilyn Monroe

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    #1- Nice handling of the dappled light. The expression ruins it though. Her expression says to me that she just landed on her backside and had an audience so was embarrassed. (Just reading into it) Your conversion is pretty good- just try to pull just a bit more out of the shadows.
    #2- I love the colors of the background but wish there was just a smidge more separation between them and background. Also there seems to be a slight magenta cast to the skin tones. But I always prefer things a bit warmer, so it could just be preference.
    #3- This picture is great- minus the mom squatting there. Larger framed people don't look as attractive as they could when posed in that position. If you have one in that setting without the mom in that pose, I think it would be an easy winner!Perhaps next time bring a small stool or something to protect her white pants from the RR tracks. I also wish you had not chopped off the corner of the RR tracks.
    #4- Is her skirt snagged on the foliage? eek7.gif
    #5- Fabulous! Best of the set. Can't think of any nits on this one. (bet it gets hung on a wall somewhere!)iloveyou.gif

Thanks for sharing! I hope you are able to recieve these comments with all the good feelings I wrote them with. You have a lot of potential! On a humerous note: I have never heard the term "wonky" and enjoyed it quite a bit! I guess I'll add it to my vocabulary!rolleyes1.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    I like the last shot. The rail road shot is not working for me becasue of the "squat" from the mom. And daughter in the field shot..well..might work for 5 year old in a nice sundress. The subject seems too mature for the setting/type of shot imo.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    #1- Nice handling of the dappled light. The expression ruins it though. Her expression says to me that she just landed on her backside and had an audience so was embarrassed. (Just reading into it) Your conversion is pretty good- just try to pull just a bit more out of the shadows.
    #2- I love the colors of the background but wish there was just a smidge more separation between them and background. Also there seems to be a slight magenta cast to the skin tones. But I always prefer things a bit warmer, so it could just be preference.
    #3- This picture is great- minus the mom squatting there. Larger framed people don't look as attractive as they could when posed in that position. If you have one in that setting without the mom in that pose, I think it would be an easy winner!Perhaps next time bring a small stool or something to protect her white pants from the RR tracks. I also wish you had not chopped off the corner of the RR tracks.
    #4- Is her skirt snagged on the foliage? eek7.gif
    #5- Fabulous! Best of the set. Can't think of any nits on this one. (bet it gets hung on a wall somewhere!)iloveyou.gif

Thanks for sharing! I hope you are able to recieve these comments with all the good feelings I wrote them with. You have a lot of potential! On a humerous note: I have never heard the term "wonky" and enjoyed it quite a bit! I guess I'll add it to my vocabulary!rolleyes1.gif

I'm glad you have a new word to add to your vocabulary :D lol
    First of all, thanks for taking the time and effort into commenting on each photo! I looked through them all a zillion times and it's nice to have a fresh set of eyes to point out (usually, obvious) flaws. For #1 I have a couple more similar, which may work better. That specific expression was quite funny at the time, she sat there at first, no expression, then just out of the blue glanced down at the gerbera daisy (mom's favorites, the girls thought they were SO cheesy lol) and started slowly smiling. T'was just the moment I liked, but really critically looking at her expression it's not that appealing to put it lightly!
    #2 I'll try reworking it a bit to see if I can get that magenta outta there.
    #3 tisk tisk shame on me, I shoulda known better! And lucky me I do have a couple without mom in it!
    #4 Eeek..... Qarik: I definitely see what you're saying with it being a very "young pose". She was very... hmm immature is not the word.. but playful I suppose, and it was just a random snap and thought I'd play with it. Certainly not a wall hanger rolleyes1.gif
    #5 also my favorite, i've got a 'headshot' of each of them that are my favorites. I'm TRYING desperately to get more comfortable with full body shots and some variety, but I just love faces!

Thanks again! I really do appreciate when you folks take the time with us young'uns!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe