Options

Insect portraiture

mplonskymplonsky Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited May 7, 2005 in Holy Macro
I like to take pictures of bugs. I like to see their faces and eyes. Here are a few from last year when I was using a canon 300D (now I have a 20D) with the canon 100mm macro, extention tubes, a 500D diopter, a 2x tamron teleconverter, and occasionaly, reversing a pentax 50mm f1.4 on some or all of this. I try all kinds of optical marriages. I used a 420ex flash covered with a diffuser and mounted on a butterfly bracket.

Flies have been a favorite of mine. I especially like when they blow bubbles.

34403141.jpg

Ants are hard to do. I found this one on a white building.

35748016.jpg

Wasps blow bubbles too.

34277770.jpg

This was with a 50mm lens reversed on some extension tubes that were on the camera.

35713192.jpg

Dragons are another of my favorites.

31895165.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed my bugs.
Happy shooting,
Mark
www.mplonsky.com/photo

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Love your bugs thumb.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    great shots
    wow fantastic shots ,great work thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited May 3, 2005
    Mark,

I knew I've seen these before. I had a link in my resources from DPR a year or so back on your tutorials and web gallery.

I see there are many new shots. They're all fantastic. thumb.gif I encourage everyone to visit your site... (click his name for profile).

Wait 'til Skippy and J&H see these! There's a growing interest in these ultra-macro shots over here.

What combination of equipment (that you listed above) offers you the greatest DOF, or control over DOF, in these type of shots when well lit? Just curious.

Great post and welcome to DGrin.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Wow, those are so cool! The dragon portrait is especially awesome.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Susan
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    WOW!! thumb.gif
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited May 3, 2005
    10_2_25.gif i will now think twice before killing any bug. seems these buggies make great photo opps...... your images are FANTASTIC!

troy
    mplonsky wrote:
    I like to take pictures of bugs. I like to see their faces and eyes. Here are a few from last year when I was using a canon 300D (now I have a 20D) with the canon 100mm macro, extention tubes, a 500D diopter, a 2x tamron teleconverter, and occasionaly, reversing a pentax 50mm f1.4 on some or all of this. I try all kinds of optical marriages. I used a 420ex flash covered with a diffuser and mounted on a butterfly bracket.

• Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    eek7.gifholy cow!

This is closer to bugs than I care for been and WOW is all I can say...

They look amazingclap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    They are amazing shots! I think I just love the "dragon" the most!!thumb.gif
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Your Bugs are Beautiful
    mplonsky wrote:

Ants are hard to do. I found this one on a white building.
    Wasps blow bubbles too.
    This was with a 50mm lens reversed on some extension tubes that were on the camera.
    Dragons are another of my favorites.
    I hope you have enjoyed my bugs.
    Hi Mark.......... I have seen your work several times, and enjoy and admire your skills at shooting insects and bugs :D

I like bugs too, and I'm always looking for ways to get closer to the bugs too, I am impressed with the Extension Tubes so far, I've mostly shot the same little group of caterpillars......tell me something........is a Canon 500D the same Diopter as the Nikon 5T ????
    I like the Canon 100mm Macro, it really is a very nice sharp lens, thank you again for sharing your Wonderful Bug Images..... it is truely a fascinating world isn't it :D Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Wonderful Stuff thumb.gif
    very impressive thumb.gif

It feels right at home here clap.gif
  • Options
    REQREQ Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    wow
    :jawdrop wow nice shot thumb.gif :wow :wow :wow :wow :jawdrop
    bugs creepy
  • Options
    AlexIsAlexIs Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Wooha these are amazing! I particularly like the bubble blowers. You must be very lucky or extremely patient to capture this activity! I didn't even know that they're bubbling!

Really great stuff! It motivates me to try the same (I'm glad it's spring)!
  • Options
    purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Well, that's rather amazing.

:jawdrop
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    Hi David,

Thanx for the kind words and warm welcome. You ask:
    David_S85 wrote:
    What combination of equipment (that you listed above) offers you the greatest DOF, or control over DOF, in these type of shots when well lit?
    Well, I still haven't figured that out yet. I am enjoying trying. I really like reversing a lens on the camera body but the technique is difficult and requires a lot of light. I purchased a second flash for this season, so we will see.
    Happy shooting,
    Mark
    www.mplonsky.com/photo
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    Hi Skippy,
    Skippy wrote:
    ......tell me something........is a Canon 500D the same Diopter as the Nikon 5T ????
    I haven't used nikon stuff much, but yes, the 5t is a good closeup lens. I find that the canon 250D will work well with the canon 100mm, but will not work well when I put a teleconverter before the lens. In the later case the 500D works well. I believe the 250D is a +4 diopeter where as the 500D is about a +2. I am not sure on the power of the nikon closeups.
    Happy shooting,
    Mark
    www.mplonsky.com/photo
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Wow Wow Wow, is all I can say also! I love all these shots and was sad when the post ended. Very good indeed

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Fantastic!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    One word: ThosearesomeofthemostamazinginsectmacrosI'veeverseen!

bowdown.gif

AJ
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Nikon 5T = 1.5 Diopeter
    mplonsky wrote:
    Hi Skippy,

I haven't used nikon stuff much, but yes, the 5t is a good closeup lens. I find that the canon 250D will work well with the canon 100mm, but will not work well when I put a teleconverter before the lens. In the later case the 500D works well. I believe the 250D is a +4 diopeter where as the 500D is about a +2. I am not sure on the power of the nikon closeups.
    Hi there again :D

Just did a search ...Nikon 6T is a 2.9 diop., and the Nikon 5T is a 1.5 diop .
    I have both these Nikons and the Canon 250D as well, so this weekend I shall try the Nikon's with the Canon 100mm Macro and a full set of Ext Tubes and see how that goes :D thank you for the information Mr Plonsky :):
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Wait 'til Skippy and J&H see these! There's a growing interest in these ultra-macro shots over here.
    J: How right you are David!

H: A thousand welcomes Mark. Glad to see you over here!

J: I Just love your work (you've always set the gold standard). And folks, you have to see Mark's prints in person (they are truly stunning).

H: As I have been debating joining the ranks of DSLR owners the past year, I've been meaning to check with you on Macro technique (now that you shoot the big Canons yourself).

J: I have to take a trip over to your gallery to check out your recent additions for sure. Is this Dragon one of your "stacked" images?

H: Be sure to post more pics, and tell us ALL ABOUT your techniques! nod.gif
    J&H
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    it's already all been said, but I've got to chime in also:

holy crap those are close! :jawdrop very impressive...
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    I admire those who take macro shooting......
    to the limit and beyond! You are no exception here. One of the things I admire most about macromaniacs like yourself, is your willingness to experiment with different lens combinations, reversing, converters.. till you get just the right combination.

I would never characterize any of my own macro work as true macro work... more close-up photography than anything else.

Thank you for sharing these great shots! I for one am not a "bug lover" but, I can easily see how one could get hooked on bug photography with mother nature giving bugs such fascinating eyes!!

Now, you get my 5 star general salute for your work: thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Markjay
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    Aussie_blueyAussie_bluey Registered Users Posts: 593 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    Very nice
    Great macros, I love Insects shots, and this is a very good collection. My favourite Insect is the Praying Mantis.clap.gif

Tim
    :rofl Laugh at life, otherwise you will cry.:rofl
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    these are gorgeous! I love the yellow wasp (?). He's quite handsome!clap.gif