What to get next

BrieyasmomBrieyasmom Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited October 3, 2008 in Cameras
I have been dabbling in Photography the last year and want to upgrade from my Canon Rebel xt. What would be a good next step for a canon camera. I do a lot of family outdoor photos and am starting to do more weddings I have the 70-300 IS lens and the 18-55 one that came with the camera. Any suggestions or tips would be great .

Thanks ,Heather

Comments

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Brieyasmom wrote:
    I have been dabbling in Photography the last year and want to upgrade from my Canon Rebel xt. What would be a good next step for a canon camera. I do a lot of family outdoor photos and am starting to do more weddings I have the 70-300 IS lens and the 18-55 one that came with the camera. Any suggestions or tips would be great .

Thanks ,Heather

I do my weddings with a 30D and 40D body currently... so I'd probably recommend something in that family. If you can swing a new 50D they look rather promising. That being said I've finally saved up for that "next step" and will be upgrading myself to a 5D Mark II soon :) But for you right now that's probably too big of a jump at the moment so I'd stick to the 30/40/50D series.

Also for weddings you'll need to get faster glass, at least f2.8 if not faster. I did a couple weddings with f4 and quickly upgraded after that to be able to capture the low light stuff effectively.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    Canon 30D, 50mm f1.8 Lens, 580 EX flash.

Tamron, 25-78 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 Lens.

A couple of photography books, specially "Understanding Exposure".
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    My first recommendation would be to read my thoughts on wedding photography (see link below).

After that, you really want to have
    • two camera bodies (30D/40D/50D), a match pair to make life easier.
    • A couple of good lenses. I use and can recommend:
      • EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (could use, instead, the Tammy 17-50)
      • EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS (could use, instead, the Siggy 70-200 f/2.8)
    • A couple of lenses to back up the above:
      • Sigma 30 f/1.4
      • Canon EF 50 f/1.4
      • Canon EF 85 f/1.8
    • A couple of flashes would also be a good thing to have.
    :soapbox
    I understand that's a big step up from an XTi and a couple of kit lenses, but that's about the minimum with which I would feel comfortable shooting a wedding. It's all about having the equipment to do the job (remembering, "It's not the equipment that makes the photograph. It's the equipment that makes the photograph POSSIBLE!") and having a backup for everything that can (and will eventually) fail.
    <*/soapbox>

Oh, and once you've shot a couple of frames with a really, really nice lenses, there's no going back and no hope for your recovery!:D