Freestyle Skijumping

MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited October 7, 2008 in Sports
Here are a few shots I took at the Lake Placid Freestyle Aerial Training Center. They launch pretty high into the air and land in a large pool. The grandstands were a little too far away for my 100mm lens, so I wandered downhill about 100' away and shot these with my 400mm. This was a lot tougher to shoot than I expected. The skiiers are blocked from your view by the tall 'launching ramp' at the end of the downhill and then you have less than a second to get an auto-focus lock and keep them in frame as they are doing their acrobatics.

385390853_GjPCB-XL.jpg

385390635_BYu84-XL.jpg

385390784_gqwb6-XL.jpg

385390706_nVC7W-XL.jpg

385390774_LpAyv-XL.jpg

Comments

• monchee10monchee10 Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    Nice shots... they look so peaceful. When I saw the thread title, I thought "Skiing? this early in the year?" :D
    Thanks,

Joe
    :thumb
    D200, Sigma 15-30 f3.5-5.6, Nikon 50mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8, SB600
    josephlemasphotography.smugmug.com
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Yeah, they practice ski jumping up there year round. On the big 120 meter ski jump they put artificial turf down on the slope and wet it down to simulate a surface of snow.

So you CAN go watch a ski jumping competition when it's 90 degrees out. Ha ha!
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    skiing/snowboarding is kind of a partnership with the moutain and terrain. Realy tight crops are nice, but really don't convey the the setting. While summer jumping may not be the nicest, I think I'd sugest some wider shots that really show off the setting and tell more of a story.

When shooting sports that involve a ball, tight crops that include the ball are highly desirable. With skiing, think of the mountain/scenery as the ball.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Nice shots

I have a bias for tight crops showing a subjects attempt at personal best. For me it's worth the loss of scale.

Rags
    Rags
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Nice shoots. Keep it up. wings.gif
    xtnomad :wink