Still working at #9

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 5, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
So, here I am working in a completely different part of the country for a few days, and finally - something to photograph at dusk!! (no doubt about it - you get better skies out west :) Unfortunately, I didn't bring the dSLR and am stuck using the P&S, but it was just too gorgeous not to try and do *something*....

Current Entry "Contemplation"

IMG_1410.JPG

Tonight I tried to capture some of the local scenery, even if it is only with the little camera. The title, "Ole Man River" would apply to any of them.

IMG_1000s.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

3. IMG_1029.jpg

Comments

• ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    #2 says dusk to me. maybe re shoot with bridge a little lower across top if you have time?
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    Thanks. Very unlikely I'll get to reshoot, alas, but there's this one in the series too: I like the bridge better, but rejected it because of the post in the foreground. (does that bother anybody else?)

IMG_1012.jpg
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 3, 2008
    I know that the bridge is centered on 1 and 3...I like those two the most....especially the 1st one. I like the way the walk and rail lead the eye and brigde to a mmeeting point where the sun has just set. Very nice composition even with the bridge being centered. I think maybe centering it that way is one of the "thirds rules" break that is perfectly acceptable on this particular shot.thumb.gif
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    #1 for me as well! Nice job!thumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    1 or 3, in 2 the geometry of the bridge makes the picture look unbalanced
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    #3. I really like the curvature of the walkway.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    I like #3 the best - the composition is more interesting. As with richterl, I like the curved walkway. I'd like it even more if the bridge were a bit higher and not in the middle of the frame, but of those you posted #3 gets my vote!
    edited October 4, 2008
    Thanks so much everybody! It's another beautiful day here, but I have a hunch that I'm going to be busy with my professional life between 6- 6.30 today and won't be able to get down there to try again :(
    I like the way the walk and rail lead the eye and brigde to a mmeeting point where the sun has just set.

YAYAYAYAY!! Thank you SO MUCH for that comment JAG. That is EXACTLY what I was trying to do so - at last - what I'm "imagining" is starting to come through in the shot! wings.gif The hard part with these is that the p&s only has an LCD screen, no viewfinder, and it was partially guesswork to frame the shot, because due to the light I couldn't SEE the screen! (Have I mentioned JUST how sad I am that I didn't bring the XT with me?!)

Thanks again!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    edited October 5, 2008
    Thanks again, all.

I DID manage to sneak down there again at 6pm tonight, and since the weather held, got a few more, one of which I have now posted as my updated entry

IMG_1138s.jpg

This onoe seemed to work the best; I tried to get the curved part of the rail again, but it just wouldn't work, mainly because I was about 15-20 minutes earlier - the exposures needed tonight to capture the glow left the path underexposed, and a seeming blank black area of dead space instead of the leading lines, so I went with this one instead.

Everybody's comments were so helpful for my second attempt! It's still not 100% what I would like to see, but I'm happier with it than the first series.

Really appreciate the feedback and encouragement!
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Good choice, very well shot!thumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008