Options

DAM/Import Tools - native Vista sucks...

unrealshotsunrealshots Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited October 4, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi Folks,

looking for an import tool for Vista, that will give me some of the functionality of the XP Scanning Wizard, that is no longer present in Vista, as well as a decent DAM package.

I've tried Lightroom, and can't get my head around the Adobe way of doing things, have had a look at Fotostation, and currently playing with ACDSee Pro 2.5, which doesn't come close to being any good at DAM IMHO...

I've even had a play with Picasa, which is at least quick, but nevertheless not quite what I'm looking for, as I can't get a handle on the way it processes editing, and I hate applications that write ini files all over my system...

I'm currently waiting for MSDN to come back up, so I can grab a copy of Expression Media, and see how it works, to see if it fits any kind of bill ...

What do other people use, and how to do they find its' functionality.

Not fussed about export capabilities, although backup management would be beaut!

Cheers,

Andrew

Comments

• Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Hi Folks,

looking for an import tool for Vista, that will give me some of the functionality of the XP Scanning Wizard, that is no longer present in Vista, as well as a decent DAM package.

I've tried Lightroom, and can't get my head around the Adobe way of doing things, have had a look at Fotostation, and currently playing with ACDSee Pro 2.5, which doesn't come close to being any good at DAM IMHO...

I've even had a play with Picasa, which is at least quick, but nevertheless not quite what I'm looking for, as I can't get a handle on the way it processes editing, and I hate applications that write ini files all over my system...

I'm currently waiting for MSDN to come back up, so I can grab a copy of Expression Media, and see how it works, to see if it fits any kind of bill ...

What do other people use, and how to do they find its' functionality.

Not fussed about export capabilities, although backup management would be beaut!

Cheers,

Andrew

Perhaps you can describe what you *actually* want to be able to do? Then we might be able to make some suggestions.

Anthony.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    I agree with Anthony. Give us a top 5 list of feature areas that are important to you and we can maybe help with what apps are good at that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Anthony wrote:
    Perhaps you can describe what you *actually* want to be able to do? Then we might be able to make some suggestions.

Anthony.

He says it here:
    the functionality of the XP Scanning Wizard

Since I have no idea what that is...I'll crawl back into my hole now.:D