Question About Selling

madiggmadigg Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited October 6, 2008 in Sports
I make my own baseball cards for the players to sign. While my kids and I are getting these signed, folks come up and want to buy them and want to know where I get them. I just tell them I make them . . and that is about it. My question is do the Cardinals own the rights to their players likeness. Or as long as there is no TM stuff on the Photo, can I sell them online. I know I should contact the Cardinals, but I was hoping someone out here has already been through this. Am I Free To Sell Them. Here is one I did. (PS. If this is in the wrong place then feel free to move the post.)

386199170_debFc-L.jpg

Comments

• KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    madigg wrote:
    I make my own baseball cards for the players to sign. While my kids and I are getting these signed, folks come up and want to buy them and want to know where I get them. I just tell them I make them . . and that is about it. My question is do the Cardinals own the rights to their players likeness. Or as long as there is no TM stuff on the Photo, can I sell them online. I know I should contact the Cardinals, but I was hoping someone out here has already been through this. Am I Free To Sell Them. Here is one I did. (PS. If this is in the wrong place then feel free to move the post.)

386199170_debFc-L.jpg
    Who are the Springfield Cardinals??? A little league or Babe Ruth league team, or St. Louis' AA club? You don't specify, and at a glance your image doesn't supply any clues either. I think the answer to your questions depends in part on the answer to mine.
  • madiggmadigg Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Who are the Springfield Cardinals??? A little league or Babe Ruth league team, or St. Louis' AA club? You don't specify, and at a glance your image doesn't supply any clues either. I think the answer to your questions depends in part on the answer to mine.

The Springfield Cardinals are a AA team. Other than photos with the Cardinal Players in their uniforms. The only other Item is the banner that I shot off the Score Board, that is at the bottom of the Card... They are 5x7.
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    madigg wrote:
    The Springfield Cardinals are a AA team. Other than photos with the Cardinal Players in their uniforms. The only other Item is the banner that I shot off the Score Board, that is at the bottom of the Card... They are 5x7.
    My guess is that you are on thin legal ice here, but that the club might actually conclude (if they even knew about it) that they were benefitting from what you are doing. I'm pretty sure that they could shut you down in a heartbeat if they so chose, so just don't keep a lot of inventory in stock! FWIW I don't see anything ethically wrong in what you are doing, and again, I think the club is getting goodwill from it too. But that's just my opinion. . . Also, my references to the "club" may also hold true for any individual player (who may or may not have rights, in this context, to their likeness), but they may also (as AA players) see some benefit in what you are doing.