Options

Panic stations on nudes...

2»

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Rutt, I just sent you a private message on this, thanks again for your help. This is the new version which looks very blah optimized for the web but looks better in real life.

The printer says this looks better and will come out with more magenta looking warmer ( I hope so) so Im waiting for the second match print be done before I cave in and reshoot. The main problem lies with the fact that I augmented the natural light outside with tungsten and caused a nasty cast... we live and learn..can't undo that I'm afraid..
    Lynn, the secrect is making sure the colors are actually right instead of just looking right. You use the color sampler and info palatte to do this. It is easiest in CMYK, especially for printing. For Caucasians with not much tan and no makeup (!), Y and M should be roughly equal and C about considerably lower (say 1/5). K should be very low. Use curves to get this balance. Lower the Y+M values on in the upper midtones and nudge up the C in the hightones.
    Since the flag is layered in, you can balance it separately. (Same for the gun?)

In your original, the Y and M balance looks good, but C is very low. I think that causes the orangy (Y+M) cast.

BTW, if you get this formula right, then you can USM on just the C+K channels and you will be able to sharpen way more than you would otherwise and still have the skin look good.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Lynn, the secrect is making sure the colors are actually right instead of just looking right. You use the color sampler and info palatte to do this. It is easiest in CMYK, especially for printing. For Caucasians with not much tan and no makeup (!), Y and M should be roughly equal and C about considerably lower (say 1/5). K should be very low. Use curves to get this balance. Lower the Y+M values on in the upper midtones and nudge up the C in the hightones.
    Since the flag is layered in, you can balance it separately. (Same for the gun?)

In your original, the Y and M balance looks good, but C is very low. I think that causes the orangy (Y+M) cast.

BTW, if you get this formula right, then you can USM on just the C+K channels and you will be able to sharpen way more than you would otherwise and still have the skin look good.
    I'm gonna have to study this Rutt.. but I get the drift.. also, I'm ploughing through Dan Magulis as you suggested and now dreaming about cmyk..I'll play with the color sampler now...
  • Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2004
    No disrespect meant to any of you two, but methinks Lynn is not quite ready to swing such a big sword yet, Rutt...

...Which is perfectly fine, Lynn. Many pros aren't either.