Options

noob CS3 ?s

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited October 5, 2008 in Finishing School
I want to make a layer for my noise filter. I'm having trouble figuring out where in the line-up of layers this one should go. Same with USM. Do I make a layer via copy of the background? I've tried a few things, but obviously I don't have this layers stuff completely figured out because I can't make the noise filtering show up. Help? Thanks!
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    jnsuffolkjnsuffolk Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    If you click the f7 button you should see a window popup. click the layer tab on top. Then you should see your photo as background. right click it an < I thnk it either background layer or duplicate layer> I cant remember off hand without loading the prg Anyway There is your layer Now you can add your effects to it
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    From the phrase
    I'm having trouble figuring out where in the line-up of layers this one should go.
    I'm guessing that you have multiple layers and you're asking where the noise reduction layer should go. Is this correct?

I'll assume it's correct, and provide an answer.

Assuming that you want to apply noise reduction to everything you've done to the image at this point, you can either flatten the image and duplicate the background layer, or stamp a new layer (on Windows, hold the ALT key while selecting Layers->Merge Visible). This generates a layer (on top) which incorporates everything below it (in effect, a layer with what you currently see on the monitor). You can use whatever noise reduction technique you want here, and adjust opacity to taste.

Some believe that noise reduction should be done early in the workflow, by the way. My experience in this isn't sufficient to form an opinion (other than it should be done before sharpening).
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    jjbong wrote:
    From the phrase I'm guessing that you have multiple layers and you're asking where the noise reduction layer should go. Is this correct?

I'll assume it's correct, and provide an answer.

Assuming that you want to apply noise reduction to everything you've done to the image at this point, you can either flatten the image and duplicate the background layer, or stamp a new layer (on Windows, hold the ALT key while selecting Layers->Merge Visible). This generates a layer (on top) which incorporates everything below it (in effect, a layer with what you currently see on the monitor). You can use whatever noise reduction technique you want here, and adjust opacity to taste.

Some believe that noise reduction should be done early in the workflow, by the way. My experience in this isn't sufficient to form an opinion (other than it should be done before sharpening).

Yes, this is what I was after. Thank you!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography