Finally..My first newborn shoot....

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited October 7, 2008 in People
After having several delays we finally got the shoot done today. Here are a few of my favorites....and you can see the rest of them in
Molly's Gallery.<---clickable.

C and C is greatly appreciated as I am learning alot. I had some technical difficulties with my flash not firing a few times (battery change helps). Over all I think it went well and the parents got what they wanted (I think).

386871897_b6ibj-L.jpg
386872634_K88Cf-L.jpg
386872819_uTUQe-L.jpg
386873898_ByhBf-L.jpg
386875832_UrU78-L.jpg
386875943_2tx7w-L.jpg

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 5, 2008
    what do you think about this one? I had one of my side lights off and was going for a more dramatic lighting on their face. Do you like or not??
    386876255_uu5AE-L.jpg

edit from post 4
    Here are a few more of my favorites. Any critiques would be great as I am learning.
    386874922_tutdc-L.jpg

386875997_FTK83-L.jpg

One thing I have learned is that I should have some bobbie pins available for wayward hair. I cannot tell you how many times I was pulling moms hair back behind her ear...and wouldn't you know the best shots of the baby with her were all the ones where her hair was in the way!
    386877027_5tRhc-L.jpg

386876583_YqPgz-L.jpg
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    These are great! I absolutely love #3, baby's expression is priceless.
    clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited October 5, 2008
    Thank you for looking and replying Marina.

edit: moved pics to post 2
    edited October 6, 2008
    Getting lots of lookers but no responses.headscratch.gif Please let me know if I bombed or not!eek7.gif
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    I find that's often the case here... lookers - but not too many responders. I'm not one for critiques as I'm also just starting out. However, I think your photos are fantastic! You really got some great expressions on the baby. I also like the "dramatic" lighting on the second post. You did a great job experimenting and getting nice shots!
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    i think you did great for a first time baby shoot. I have mine coming up in a week or so and for some reason I am far more nervous about it than any other shoot that I have done. Anyway, my favorited are 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 (the extra dramatic lighting pic). You did a great job with the composition and lighting. Each shows some varied emotion. thumb.gif While technically good, I wasn't crazy about the expression on the mom's face in #6. I thinkthat they will really enjoy this set.
    edited October 6, 2008
    Thank you adpace and Travis! Good to know that at least I am on the right track. Good luck on your shoot Travis. I was a bit nervous too but it helped that the parents were friends of mine and they new from the getgo that this was the first baby shoot I have done. I am hoping that I get some good word of mouth with this and maybe get some more shots.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Very cute baby.
    Expressions in that 3rd are so good !
    Good job
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    What an adorable family! I really like 3, 7, 8. (BTW, it is helpful to number the photos. :D) 7 seems a bit cool and 8 seems too warm (great expressions though), although I'm struggling with getting my own skin tones "correct" so take that for what it's worth. I don't know the first thing about shooting studio style (so can't offer much helpful critique), but it looks like you're off to a good start! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited October 6, 2008
    Thank you Awais and Elaine.

Elaine ty for the tip on numbering...duly noted and I edited my posts.deal.gif

The warm toned ones were when my sb800 didn't fire because the batteries needed replaced. The cooler one was when I had first put the batteries in...I had to readjust all my settings after that because I noted the coolness. Its hard for me to run pp on them because I haven't much a clue about skin tones either. I am still learning and do not have cs but do have psp. I just don't understand the whole levels thing when I look at them raw. I have capture nx to process my raws...but I don't understand completely how to use it.

Ty for taking the time for looking and commenting everyone!thumb.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Just got time to look and drool. I love #9. If it was my set, I would probably add a little more light in the eyes. (you could probably swing it if you had Photoshop don't know about that other program- come on over and I'll show you how it is done) Great set- beautiful baby! Can't wait to see your setup!
    edited October 7, 2008
    Just got time to look and drool. I love #9. If it was my set, I would probably add a little more light in the eyes. (you could probably swing it if you had Photoshop don't know about that other program- come on over and I'll show you how it is done) Great set- beautiful baby! Can't wait to see your setup!

Heather you know who this family is???? Its Rick and Brenda V. older son Sean and his wife and new baby! I just remember you know them! That whole family has dark brown eyes...and this baby definately has her daddies eyes. I could use a lighten tool in psp. I will have to give it a try...but not tonight...I am turning into a pumpkin.

Thank you for looking. I will be heading out of town to Idaho at the end of this week...my papa has terminal cancer. So maybe when I get back and before I head out to vacation we can get together?

Goodnite.