Options

Flash and 20D

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 3, 2005 in Accessories
My flash, the Sunpak power zoom, 5000AF, is not dedicated to the
20D.

I had problems, have talked to them, and they say, Sunpak does, that they do not have a flash dedicated to the 20D.

I thought this flash was relatively inexpensive, though high for Sunpak. I bought it a yr ago feb for the Rebel, used it with enjoyment. I thought I paid about $150.00.

I would like another detachable flash, or dedicated. Does someone have any suggestions? I cannot afford Canon's flash. I really only need it for Baptisms, for which I am not paid, and for once a year family things. I don't want to pay a bunch, as in a good lens.

Also, I have no idea how much this flash is worth, in order to sell it. I do not have the manual. Somehow in trying to get it to work with the 20D, I lost it. I don't keep boxes, etc. Does anyone know, off hand, how much one would ask for a flash in this situation. It worked great with my Rebel.

ginger (I have looked on B&H, that is why I am confused. They are all so expensive that I have no idea if my memory of a "cheap" flash is accurate.)
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    I use Sunpak 555 flash units with the 20D. They are not dedicated, but you can get a Canon module for them. I don't use the module, I just shoot manually with the flashes.

You can put the flash on ebay and let the market decide a price if you don't have one in mind.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Thanks, Shay. It might be financially better for me to try to work with the flash.

The woman said manual, and auto, I believe. I think I will try to get another manual (maybe that is spelled differently), interesting semantics, to figure those settings out. I shoot in AV usually, but I can change.

I don't want to be messing with settings every two minutes, though. Neither do I want to put out a couple hundred, if I don't need to.
    g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    Generally, if you set the camera to Av f/4 (for example) and the flash to auto f/4 things should be pretty automatic. Not perfect, but easy mwink.gif

ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Shay. It might be financially better for me to try to work with the flash.

The woman said manual, and auto, I believe. I think I will try to get another manual (maybe that is spelled differently), interesting semantics, to figure those settings out. I shoot in AV usually, but I can change.

I don't want to be messing with settings every two minutes, though. Neither do I want to put out a couple hundred, if I don't need to.
    g
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie