Nikon D300 noise at 200ISO?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited October 26, 2008 in Cameras
Ok....really REALLY frustrated!!! I did a huge photoshoot yesterday for a family of 32 people and for some reason all my pictures are full of noise! My D300 with a 70-200 2.8 lens was on ISO 200, using a SB600 in a shady location but with some backlighting. ALL my pictures are noisy? I used noiseware professional on them and now they look over processed. For a minute I thought is was because I was on continuous shutter but it was bad even when I switched it. Any ideas or advice? I did more photos today with the same issue. UGH. Thankfully the ones today were for free, I wouldn't expect to get paid for bad photos. HELLLLPPPPP!!!!! Here are some before and after examples

387273953_aWKFh-L.jpg

386747084_FGfBH-L.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    I can't see major noise problems. All cameras produce noise if you look closely enough. It would help if you posted a closer crop of this image. But, from my initial look - seems fine to me on the 1st one, and yes - the 2nd one looks overprocessed.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited October 5, 2008
    Sandy,

Take a look at the first image on another monitor, preferably a CRT and not an LCD. I suspect your monitor setup is to blame for the appearance of excessive noise. Everything looks fine here. (I checked on 2 monitors.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    thanks for the comments. I have looked on 2 monitors a MAC and a PC and at a larger size I still see noise. This is in comparison to other photos I have taken prior to yesterday. I am used to crystal clear photos. To me these are noisy or pixellated. I will have a hard time making enlargements. Here is a larger version of the unedited. Am I seeing something that doesn't exist? Could it be a focus issue? The baby seems to be less noisy.387273953_aWKFh-X3.jpg
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited October 5, 2008
    Not seeing any problems with noise. I suggest you run a commercial test print to be sure.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Looks fine to me.
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    They look fine to me as well and I've noticed that when I print, even if there is a little noise on the monitor screen, it dose not show.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    If you see noise, the only thing I can think of is your monitor may be too bright.
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Bump to Ziggy here too.

I don't see a problem at all. The D300 is very good with noise at 200 and even 800 iso. It's much better than a D200 above 400iso too. I own and shoot both.

I also use Noiseware Pro and have a script that does this with an image.
    Copy Layer
    Apply Noiseware
    reduce layer opacity to 55%

This allows me to easily see the difference between NWP and without NWP. It also allows me to fine tune and even mask out some areas. For me, I find that a 55% opacity of noiseware at auto settings serves me well.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    I am with Jonathon and Ziggy and David and others as well on this.....my 22" LCD shows no sign of noise......

Maybe your central scrutinizer is scrutinizing waaay too much.....give yourself a break.......and I now I am returning back to Frank Zappa's Trance Fusion and the Tibetan Book of the Dead................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    24 in LCD monitor..no noise that I can see
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Can you post a 100% crop and mark somehow an area where you're seeing noise? I'm not seeing anything other than a good-looking family - no noise!
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Thanks so much for all the replies. Maybe my inner critic is getting the best of me. So what you are all saying is that this is a normal everyday professional photo? They just aren't like my other pictures, something seems a little off. I did print one of the processed ones out and there was no noise after using noiseware pro but was overprocessed. I am going to try it though at the 55% as suggested. Thanks again for the comments. I am still learning all the time. It helps to have more pairs of eyesrolleyes1.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 8, 2008
    by chance have you looked in your sub menus on the D300 to see what setting your noise reduction was set on the camera? I discovered that lil sub menu last week when I was shooting at low light with an iso at 1600. It worked great! You need to up your sharpness just a tad on the camera though if you want crisp lines....depending on if you have the NR on the camera set to high or not.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Thanks so much for all the replies. Maybe my inner critic is getting the best of me. So what you are all saying is that this is a normal everyday professional photo? They just aren't like my other pictures, something seems a little off. I did print one of the processed ones out and there was no noise after using noiseware pro but was overprocessed. I am going to try it though at the 55% as suggested. Thanks again for the comments. I am still learning all the time. It helps to have more pairs of eyesrolleyes1.gif
    I think I would also print off an unprocessed version - just to see if what you see on the screen in any way translates to the print. Truthfully, I think the problem is all in your head.

But, if you were able to provide both EXIF information and 100% crops from a "good" one and from an area of this one where you see the noise you might get some better and more constructive help.

Working under the assumption that you are right and we are just not seeing it because we don't have access to full resolution files, is there any chance that these were under-exposed and brought back in post? I don't see the signs of this, just asking for the sake of completeness.

On a side note and since you are spending time processing these up, I might suggest you pay some attention to the teeth and brighten them just a bit - not too much but just a bit.
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    I agree with everyone so far. I can't see a single speck of noise from those posts. When examining the guys (I'm assuming it's that velour stuff, or something similar) and you can see grains/lint/rubs that look like noise, but it's just the material.

I got nothing...headscratch.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    I see a tweak of noise, but you are right, at ISO 200 you shouldn't see any. One thing you can check, which I had to change recently, although you set your ISO to the desired speed, your camera might be choosing your ISO automatically.

On my Nikon D40, the ISO was set to auto but I had selected, in manual mode, ISO 200. And in the darker areas it was selecting ISO 1200! I went to the main settings and turned Auto ISO off.

Let me know if this helps.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    I stand to be corrected, but I think you would be most likely to find sensor noise in the mid-low tones of a photo which has a double-ended histogram (high peaks at both ends, very low middle region).

Looking at your larger-sized example at magnification, I see nothing that looks to me like typical color or contrast noise.

The most suspect area is the woman's top L. Here I see some variations in color across the material, with the mid-low tones of the sleeve and the folds of the front having what looks something like low frequency noise. I think these patches are too large to actually be noise. I think they are the sensor's attempt to render light and shadow on this underexposed material.

So, maybe look at your histogram type, eyedrop sample for luminance general areas under suspicion. Also check all the other things that have been suggested by the other posters.

N
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix