Options

Let's talk about calendars

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    fotofool wrote:
    MyCanvas and SmugMug have partnered to offer an awesome option for calendars. You can check out the calendars as well as photobooks and posters at smugmug.mycanvas.com.
    • There is a 20% off coupon code, SMHOLIDAY, that can be entered at checkout which is valid until midnight, December 24th.
    Please let us know what you like or don't like about the calendars so we can make it an even better product.

Thanks, Kelvin

I am SO glad to have a calendar option through Smug! I played with it last night and this morning, and it looks really nice. I just did a full bleed image rather than use the given templates. It was a bit tricky at times to get them set just right (kinda jumped around a bit, which I think you mentioned somewhere), but I was able to make it work.

I wanted to suggest that somehow the name of the project be included in the shopping cart view. I'm doing a number of slightly different calendars, and if I needed to change anything on one of them after they were added to the cart, it would be troublesome to go through my cart and determine which one I needed to remove.

Thanks!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I put my first calendar together tonight (been busy - shot a soccer game, edited and posted those shots, then made 4 5x7 custom cards and then 1 calendar!!) and it was a pleasant experience. I am really happy with the result that I see on screen and if the print looks like the screen does, I will be thrilled.

For me icing this cake would be the ability to sell through smugmug (or My Canvas).

I am veryhappy to have the ability to create these items through smug, as my originals are scattered hither and yon on a variety of discs, hard drives etc. Very few are on this mac.......

I do intend to try red bubble too, as an alternative to lulu, for on line sales. I am quite taken by the 11x17 format of them.

Overall, so far, thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2008
    Bug?
    My Canvas seems to cause Safari to close down on my mac..... never while I was working on something(ie no work lost), but when I was proofing and then just now, trying to start a second project. FYI.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2008
    My Canvas: I am greatly concerned by the shipping prices that you have charged on the order that I would like to place. For my potential order of 33 calendars, the charge is $125 or $4 each.

ann
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    For me icing this cake would be the ability to sell through smugmug (or My Canvas).

I am veryhappy to have the ability to create these items through smug, as my originals are scattered hither and yon on a variety of discs, hard drives etc. Very few are on this mac.......

I do intend to try red bubble too, as an alternative to lulu, for on line sales. I am quite taken by the 11x17 format of them.

Overall, so far, thumb.gif

Ann, I just got my Red Bubble test calendar and my MyCanvas test calendar in the mail yesterday.

I think I can safely say I have used Lulu for the last time. Red Bubble absolutely blows Lulu away: in color reproduction , in print quality and paper quality. They are a little more but I'd have to say that they are worth it. On the downside I do not really care for their online storefront. It is not that easy to work with and their upload facility is very slow.

The MyCanvas calendar is also stunning, great color reproduction on excellent paper. I'll have to check to see what I paid for shipping as I do not recall and do not have the paperwork in front of me. If I could sell this product through my Smugmug site then they would be the winner in my calendar test and I'd happily tell all the others good bye!

Until that time I guess Red Bubble is now my calendar provider. wings.gif
  • Options
    fotofoolfotofool Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    My Canvas: I am greatly concerned by the shipping prices that you have charged on the order that I would like to place. For my potential order of 33 calendars, the charge is $125 or $4 each.

ann

Shipping is FREE at MyCanvas through December 11th on orders of $50 or more.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Thanks for the review Mark! I appreciate the details, and am really hoping to order some calendars. They look great on screen - and I liked the user interface.

ann

mrcoons wrote:
    Ann, I just got my Red Bubble test calendar and my MyCanvas test calendar in the mail yesterday.

I think I can safely say I have used Lulu for the last time. Red Bubble absolutely blows Lulu away: in color reproduction , in print quality and paper quality. They are a little more but I'd have to say that they are worth it. On the downside I do not really care for their online storefront. It is not that easy to work with and their upload facility is very slow.

The MyCanvas calendar is also stunning, great color reproduction on excellent paper. I'll have to check to see what I paid for shipping as I do not recall and do not have the paperwork in front of me. If I could sell this product through my Smugmug site then they would be the winner in my calendar test and I'd happily tell all the others good bye!

Until that time I guess Red Bubble is now my calendar provider. wings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    fotofool wrote:
    Shipping is FREE at MyCanvas through December 11th on orders of $50 or more.

Hi again. Thanks for all your customer support! I am still getting a $125.00 shipping and processing charge being added. Is this for processing only? Can you help me understand?

Thanks

ann
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    I've PMed you with a question about my order.

Woops! That was for fotofool!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    jrnylstjrnylst Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    calendar test
    I was looking for a new calendar printer after ImageStation went away and tried some of the recommendations here just to see how they looked.

First of all, I have to say, I love the stock used in Cafe Press and MyCanvas. I also was very happy with the colors in both, and the prices for all of the brands suggested here were reasonable, in my opinion.

Second, I have to say MyCanvas won my own personal test because of the customization available.

I have a friend who is on her second round of cancer. Two years ago she asked me to photograph some of her crafts for a calendar she planned to give to her family for Christmas. But she was diagnosed the day I was supposed to shoot for her, and she said she'd wait until the next year because she just didn't feel like it. Last year she was still going through chemo, and she still didn't feel like it. So I was thrilled when we were able to actually book the shoot this year.

Then, she was diagnosed again after I shot her stuff. She really wasn't too excited about the calendar anymore because her attention was elsewhere. But I went ahead and made samples from the different companies, and I hand-delivered them to her in the hospital as they arrived. Her MyCanvas calendars came in this week, and once again I took them to her, and you would not believe the smiles! I can honestly say it's the first time I've seen her smile in a week!

She, too, loved these ones best, specifically because of the customizations (she had allowed me to add family birthdays and anniversaries), and I think it was the perfect shot of happiness for what is a very difficult time for her. In minutes, she had her doctor and all her nurses in the room perusing her calendars, and they, too, were extremely impressed. Those simple little pieces of cardstock took everyone's mind off something depressing for a while.

So I guess this isn't just about how great the calendars look, but how they can make someone feel when they literally are at their worst.
    alias Snowcatcher, but still a jrnylst at heart
    http://snowcatcher.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    meatpopmeatpop Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 22, 2008
    I guess I wasn't looking hard enough... didn't see the MyCanvas/Smuggy coop and nice perks. Bummer for me.

I did give ProPics Express a try, and while their product looks good enough for our family calendars I am disappointed to say they fu... screwed up our order. They only sent one unit, and neglected to include the 7 other copies! Argh, so we will not be able to hand out the family calendar at our Christmas get-together. Yeah, everyone makes mistakes, and maybe it is a freak accident. But I am disappointed that one calendar got shipped on a $150 order. :bluduh

Oh, BTW, they recently dumped their good pricing. The first calendar is still a few bills under $20, but the copies are no longer $10; same price for all. That makes them less competetive with the rest. I did like to have the software download so uploads are unnecessary, but if the MyCanvas interface accesses my Smuggy albums then that is no biggie eh?
  • Options
    meatpopmeatpop Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 22, 2008
    meatpop wrote:

I did give ProPics Express a try, and while their product looks good enough for our family calendars I am disappointed to say they fu... screwed up our order. They only sent one unit, and neglected to include the 7 other copies! Argh, so we will not be able to hand out the family calendar at our Christmas get-together. Yeah, everyone makes mistakes, and maybe it is a freak accident. But I am disappointed that one calendar got shipped on a $150 order. :bluduh

Want to update my experiences: I emailed ProPics and let them know about the mistake. They appologized (temp staff for the holiday rush) and I believe have fully rectified their mistake. I needed the calendars by tomorrow and I just got a shipping notification: FedEx overnight (7 calendars)! mwink.gif

I am once again pleased, just wish they had kept their very nice bulk discount pricing...
  • Options
    kungalooshkungaloosh Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    meatpop wrote:
    Want to update my experiences: I emailed ProPics and let them know about the mistake. They appologized (temp staff for the holiday rush) and I believe have fully rectified their mistake. I needed the calendars by tomorrow and I just got a shipping notification: FedEx overnight (7 calendars)! mwink.gif

I am once again pleased, just wish they had kept their very nice bulk discount pricing...

Yes, despite their change in pricing, I have only good things to say about their customer service. (had to deal with them on both my orders) Glad they worked it out for you and I hope you and your family all enjoy their calendars.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    MyCanvas fumbled - shipped my single order as five packages and now I face 5X the brokerage fees......

Currently NOT a satisfied customer.

ann
  • Options
    JPCanvasJPCanvas Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    MyCanvas fumbled - shipped my single order as five packages and now I face 5X the brokerage fees......

Currently NOT a satisfied customer.

ann

Hi Ann, in case you haven't seen it yet below is a reply I just sent you in another post. We'll get this worked out for you right away.

Ann, looks like we've still got an issue with your shipments. Sorry for the mess. I'm not going to make any excuses but UPS ground is a pain to Canada. It's a known issue and we'll be looking into alternatives. In the meantime please PM me your MyCanvas username and your email and we'll work something out.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    Thanks, JP. And I am pleased at how you have handled the problem! Good customer service/relationships = repeat business.

I now actually have my calendars and can comment on the quality - very nice. Great paper weight, great color, nice binding.

I have one nit, and it is probably photo specific. There is slight print banding in the dark sky of one photo. This is nothing like the banding that lulu calendar printing produced, but it is noticeable.

I used templates for the calendars for my kids, and totally customized the others I made, and both processes worked well.

So, overall the experience and product get a thumb.gif (how problems are fixed is more important than the problems themselves.)

ann
    JPCanvas wrote:
    Hi Ann, in case you haven't seen it yet below is a reply I just sent you in another post. We'll get this worked out for you right away.

Ann, looks like we've still got an issue with your shipments. Sorry for the mess. I'm not going to make any excuses but UPS ground is a pain to Canada. It's a known issue and we'll be looking into alternatives. In the meantime please PM me your MyCanvas username and your email and we'll work something out.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Just wanted to say I'm another satisfied Mycanvas calendar customer.

First, the negatives:
    • Not a big fan of flash-based sites - wanted to do some work at lunch at work and couldn't because of the flash (don't have admin rights at work so couldn't download flash drivers).
    • In several instances I would drag a photo over to the calendar and it just disappeared. Turns out it didn't really disappear it just didn't show during that session or my review of the calendar. But I got a call the next day from mycanvas letting me know one page had about 4 images on top of one another. So, a big plus that they reviewed and caught the problem and let me know in time to correct. On the negative side it would have been better if it hadn't happened to begin with.
    • I didn't like that when I first went to mycanvas the site kept trying to import ALL my smugmug galleries. I have quite a few. It tried and failed several times and after finally completing it left off the one gallery I really wanted so I had to add that manually. All in all it was a couple hours of wasted time.
    Now, on to the good side:
    • First and foremost I was very pleased with the print quality. Top notch. Quality stock as well.
    • Price was competitive
    • I liked the different layout options - lots of choices
    • I liked the ability to include info on the calendar itself - birthdays, anniversaries etc... I didn't use the feature as this was a calendar for someone else but I like the fact it was there.
    Given the newness of the offering I'm fairly comfortable the interface glitches I experienced will be worked out so that's not a major concern of mine. Overall I felt it was great quality at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I made some calendars with MyCanvas as well and give them top marks on quality and UI as well.

To be honest though these things are just too expensive (not just MyCanvas) to be a cost effective marketing tool. I have used another option that I thought you might be interested in. Print your own!

If you have a wide format printer or acess to one then you can really save your self some money, I have been creating my own and printing 16x30 wall calendars that my clients love, and because they are completely customizable you can individualize each one. I estimate they are costing me $5 each.

Here is a sample. I also do these for clients with their info on them, in any size they want. Charge them $50 a copy. I use an Epson 7880 and print them on glossy, matt and even canvas.

451624582_3bRDE-X2.jpg
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    fotofoolfotofool Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    johng wrote:
    Just wanted to say I'm another satisfied Mycanvas calendar customer.

First, the negatives:
    • Not a big fan of flash-based sites - wanted to do some work at lunch at work and couldn't because of the flash (don't have admin rights at work so couldn't download flash drivers).
    • In several instances I would drag a photo over to the calendar and it just disappeared. Turns out it didn't really disappear it just didn't show during that session or my review of the calendar. But I got a call the next day from mycanvas letting me know one page had about 4 images on top of one another. So, a big plus that they reviewed and caught the problem and let me know in time to correct. On the negative side it would have been better if it hadn't happened to begin with.
    • I didn't like that when I first went to mycanvas the site kept trying to import ALL my smugmug galleries. I have quite a few. It tried and failed several times and after finally completing it left off the one gallery I really wanted so I had to add that manually. All in all it was a couple hours of wasted time.
    Now, on to the good side:
    • First and foremost I was very pleased with the print quality. Top notch. Quality stock as well.
    • Price was competitive
    • I liked the different layout options - lots of choices
    • I liked the ability to include info on the calendar itself - birthdays, anniversaries etc... I didn't use the feature as this was a calendar for someone else but I like the fact it was there.
    Given the newness of the offering I'm fairly comfortable the interface glitches I experienced will be worked out so that's not a major concern of mine. Overall I felt it was great quality at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the feedback, johng.

This is the first time I've heard of photos being drug onto the canvas and disappearing. Please let me know if you see it again. Glad to hear that we were able to catch the problem while QAing your calendar.

I don't understand why ALL your galleries were being imported at the same time...we provide the option to select which gallery or galleries to import. Are you saying you only selected one or a limited number of galleries and yet they were all imported anyway? Yes, that would definitely be a problem. More detail would be helpful as we try to resolve this issue.
  • Options
    SavingFloridaSavingFlorida Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    I have printed calendars for the last two years through Vistaprint. They usually run specials where they are half off, making them sellable. I print about 30 at Christmas and sell all of them. I'm looking forward to trying out a few other places, but I haven't found any with comparable prices or ability to customize. Hope I helped.
    Oh yeah, I'm registered as a reseller, so I get the discounts. I don't think they offer them often for "regular" buyers. It didn't cost anything, and no paperwork.. :)
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    fotofool wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback, johng.

This is the first time I've heard of photos being drug onto the canvas and disappearing. Please let me know if you see it again. Glad to hear that we were able to catch the problem while QAing your calendar.

I don't understand why ALL your galleries were being imported at the same time...we provide the option to select which gallery or galleries to import. Are you saying you only selected one or a limited number of galleries and yet they were all imported anyway? Yes, that would definitely be a problem. More detail would be helpful as we try to resolve this issue.

I started in Smugmug and linked over from there and it just started trying to bring my galleries over. Maybe it differs by what your starting point is? Could have been a one time glitch. But, calendars isn't a huge need for me and given the year has already started it's unlikely I would try to make one for another 8 months or so. Thanks for following up though.
  • Options
    BladeFlapBladeFlap Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Promo code?
    Anyone know if there will be a promo code providing a discount on Smugmug/MyCanvas calendars this year?
  • Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    BladeFlap wrote:
    Anyone know if there will be a promo code providing a discount on Smugmug/MyCanvas calendars this year?

On the Mycanvas homepage, there is a special for printing calendars 25% off if ordered before Nov15th.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    On the Mycanvas homepage, there is a special for printing calendars 25% off if ordered before Nov15th.

I just ordered two calendars from Mycanvas at their sale price. They should be here in a couple of days. I used Zazzle last year - good enough but could be better. I just like their easy to design site!
  • Options
    BladeFlapBladeFlap Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2009

Thanks for the heads up. I wish this discount would be more visible when you get directed to their site from Smugmug. headscratch.gif

I don't think I'll be able to get my photos ready for submission before the days out. :cry
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Well I am back at square one with calendars. MyCanvas has had to stop shipping to Canada, so although I would definitely use them again this year I cannot.

So far my research has me leaning to.......Costco. On line templates look really nice, the Costco ordering interface is easy to use, and the pricing in Cdn $ is very competitive.

Zazzle now has a Cdn web presence: Zazzle.ca
    Their pricing is also good, but I have read the mixed reviews of quality.

I am going to look at Red Bubble again now, but I have a feeling Costco will win this one.

ann
  • Options
    christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well I am back at square one with calendars. MyCanvas has had to stop shipping to Canada, so although I would definitely use them again this year I cannot.

So far my research has me leaning to.......Costco. On line templates look really nice, the Costco ordering interface is easy to use, and the pricing in Cdn $ is very competitive.

Zazzle now has a Cdn web presence: Zazzle.ca
    Their pricing is also good, but I have read the mixed reviews of quality.

I am going to look at Red Bubble again now, but I have a feeling Costco will win this one.

ann
    Check out this link for printer profiles at Costco. Try to pick a facility with a Noritsu 34-Pro. You can download the printer profile and soft proof before you send your calendars to print.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/Profiles/Canada_profiles.htm#CA
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Check out this link for printer profiles at Costco. Try to pick a facility with a Noritsu 34-Pro. You can download the printer profile and soft proof before you send your calendars to print.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/Profiles/Canada_profiles.htm#CA

Thanks, from what I can tell the calendars are outsourced - two week turn around time on them, so I doubt Costco actually prints them.

ann
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    I did a number of searches for info on calendars and this seemed to be the most thorough in exploring available options. I'm planning to offer a calendar this year based on photos from my blog. Was hoping to hear your thoughts on any of the following:
    Lulu
    Zazzle
    Redbubble
    Mycanvas
    -open to other suggestions as well...
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,268 moderator
    edited July 8, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    ...hoping to hear your thoughts on any of the following:
    Redbubble
    Mycanvas
    I've created and purchased calendars from both redbubble and mycanvas.

I prefer the look of the redbubble calendars but after my order for 2010 calendars took over a month to reach me I won't order from them again unless they offer reasonably priced expedited shipping or start printing somewhere in North America. I wrote to them about the shipping issues and added to my report after I received the calendars and figured out the cause. They apparently shipped in bulk from Australia to a reshipper in Iowa. The inside package had a computer-printed label, but the outside package was sloppily hand-written and stamped. I wonder how long the package sat in Iowa before it was reshipped. Again, beautiful product but unacceptable fulfillment.

My 2011 calendars were done at mycanvas. The product has a more ordinary calendar look to it (as opposed to the redbubble product which had more of an "art" look). Funny thing is, one of the folks who got the new calendar had one of my previous redbubble calendars too, and she prefers the look of the mycanvas calendar. Fulfillment was very quick - I don't remember the exact number of days but I believe it took around a week with an order placed in early December.

--- Denise