Canon primes and other questions

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited October 6, 2008 in Cameras
I just spent a day doing some real shooting with a Nikon lens on my E-420 and even with that tiny viewfinder I was having a lot of success. (which is an amazing feeling to be shooting again) So it got me thinking (which I probably will be checking out until December or January when I have to make this purchase, I definitely don't want to overlook any option) about possibly getting another Canon to keep my EOS 650 company. One thing I didn't remember is if Nikon lenses can properly focus when adapted to the EOS mount?

The other issue is right now I'm primarily a JPEG shooter, so this is the harder question, what is the out of camera JPEG output like? Do the images lose a lot on average with Canon? And if so what parts, the colors? Highlights? Does it really pay with Canon to go raw? I know the 5D mkII is not out yet but I'm guessing it's using a similar jpeg even if its revised to the previous models. But in my situation the absolute minimal postprocessing would be best. If anyone had landscape or cityscape examples those would be great since that's going to be the primary use for this camera.

Now for lenses, I'm going to build my Olympus kit up with a macro and the wide-angle zoom so it's going to be my go to camera. Even using it today actively for a while my hands got tired so weight is a huge concern. This secondary cameras going to be for when I need really high quality. Possibly kept in a backpack and taken out for those occasions, so the only thing I might need initially is a wide angle prime. And I was wondering how is their 24 mm f 2.8 and would do the sensor justice, or if there are any other suggestions. The other lens that would be on the list is a 85mm 1.8 because in my work I really don't need that razor thin depth of field.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited October 5, 2008
    Nikon lenses can be adapted and used on Canon cameras. You do lose autofocus and aperture is set manually, except for "G" series Nikon lenses which have no aperture ring.

If you need to use Nikon lenses the obvious solution is to use Nikon bodies as well. Try the Nikon D700. Not too heavy and it is full-frame like the Canon 5D MKII.

Both Canon and Nikon can produce very nice results in JPG, but there are fairly simple methods to shoot RAW and produce JPGs automatically, leaving the option for full RAW processing when desired.

Yes, 24mm on a full frame camera is definitely wide angle, with about twice normal field-of-view. Whether that's wide enough depends upon the subject matter and compostion.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Nikon lenses can be adapted and used on Canon cameras. You do lose autofocus and aperture is set manually, except for "G" series Nikon lenses which have no aperture ring.
    If you need to use Nikon lenses the obvious solution is to use Nikon bodies as well. Try the Nikon D700. Not too heavy and it is full-frame like the Canon 5D MKII.
    the issue with the d700 and all modern Nikon SLR cameras is the shape of their grips, I can't hold them with the wrist braces I have to wear, so the only one I can use is my old Nikon FE
    Both Canon and Nikon can produce very nice results in JPG, but there are fairly simple methods to shoot RAW and produce JPGs automatically, leaving the option for full RAW processing when desired.
    what I'm looking for is if they tend to go more to a certain color palette, I've heard people talk of "Canon colors" I remember back of my film days the Kodachrome and Fuji chrome colors. Also if they seem to clip out highlights or any other thing like that in JPEG's
    Yes, 24mm on a full frame camera is definitely wide angle, with about twice normal field-of-view. Whether that's wide enough depends upon the subject matter and compostion

My question on the lens was more about its quality, are the corner soft when it's wide open? Is there vignetting? What does it need to be stopped down to four to be really sharp?

Thanks again