edited October 6, 2008 in Sports
Let me know what you you think..

Number One I just really like...

384975972_Q6DWr-L.jpg

386142724_B4p8n-L.jpg

386152261_KFbgf-L.jpg

386168307_RK5Cc-L.jpg

385049803_CiWjo-L.jpg

Let me know what you think... I took all of these Kneeling..They haven't had anything done to them..
Canon Rebel XT, Canon 70-200 2.8L

Thanks,
David Evertsen
www.phabulousphotos.com

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    They look nice, but could stand some cropping.
  • PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    I think that for straight out of the camera they look very, very good. On #2 I would consider doing something to make the football stand out a bit. On similar shots I have used PS and gone to lab mode to use something like vivid light to brighten things up a bit. Go back to RGB, add a duplicate layer, and then just erase over the football area. If you don't overdo it, you can make the football stand out a bit more, without it looking odd.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    #1 - I would REALLY like this shot a lot except the feet got cut off. The background is very nice and runner in good focus but the feet hurt it.

#2 - doesn't work for me - way too much uninteresting dead space
    #3 - again, way too much deadspace. You can try cropping down but that's tough to do in low light - you usually don't end up with enough detail to support the crop.

#4 - again too much deadspace. The story here is the running back and the one defender. Ideally you want to be framed as tightly as possible on that. The other players don't add much too the story of the shot.

#5 - framing again. What's most interesting in this shot is the defender. Tighter framing to begin with would allow you to crop down and highlight the expression on the defender's face.

So my suggestion for next game would be shoot much, much tighter to begin with - and if you shoot with a portrait orientation you'll find you have a lot less uninteresting dead space
  • David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    johng wrote:
    #1 - I would REALLY like this shot a lot except the feet got cut off. The background is very nice and runner in good focus but the feet hurt it.

#2 - doesn't work for me - way too much uninteresting dead space
    #3 - again, way too much deadspace. You can try cropping down but that's tough to do in low light - you usually don't end up with enough detail to support the crop.

#4 - again too much deadspace. The story here is the running back and the one defender. Ideally you want to be framed as tightly as possible on that. The other players don't add much too the story of the shot.

#5 - framing again. What's most interesting in this shot is the defender. Tighter framing to begin with would allow you to crop down and highlight the expression on the defender's face.

So my suggestion for next game would be shoot much, much tighter to begin with - and if you shoot with a portrait orientation you'll find you have a lot less uninteresting dead space

Thanks very much,

1. I would kill to get the feet back on that one!!

I find my self looking and waiting more to get better shots than I had in the past. I shot one game in portrait and I like the pictures but, it was so different from what I was "used to". I found it
    much easier to get tighter and I was not worrying about feet and hands. I will go back to action like that. I found myself at the last game pulling out when there was action to make sure I got hands and feet. Will go back to portrait and get tighter.. Looks like i am getting on the right track.. At least I hope I am..

How about this for #5??
    388390973_CmV5X-L.jpg

David Evertsen
    www.phabulousphotos.com