Professional insights please anyone?

AlexWebleyComAlexWebleyCom Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited February 24, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Hello,

I am new to SmugMug and am personally very much an amateur photographer of the lowest order. :dunno

Currently I am in the process of setting up my SmugMug account (http://www.AlexWebleyMedia.com) and in due course will include some of my daughter's work in some galleries on my site. Anoushka is better at taking photos than me :clap and some time ago I built her a website to showcase some of her stuff. The site I built is rather time consuming to update and in any case SmugMug features are superior. (Anoushka's site contains older stuff due to the updating issue).

I am wondering if anyone would like to have a look at some of her work and provide some professional insights please? Constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you.

Her site: http://www.AnoushkaNewman.com

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    clap.gif - Welcome to DGrin - it's a great place to be!

My I respectfully suggest you will get better and more comment if you link in a couple or three of your daughter's finest here. I visited the referenced site and had some small problem navigating so I aborted the effort.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Alex,

I visited the site, but there are too many images and most of them are pretty much the same. I'd recommend that your daughter widdle that stack down to 10 or 15 of her best. Right now I looks more like what a teenage girl would put up on facebook - pictures of all her friends one after another. She should go for the artistic shots. Also, she should not rely so much on all that funky over processing. It gets rather old after a few images.

Just some thoughts, hopefully helpful.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • AlexWebleyComAlexWebleyCom Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 6, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Alex,

I visited the site, but there are too many images and most of them are pretty much the same. I'd recommend that your daughter widdle that stack down to 10 or 15 of her best. Right now I looks more like what a teenage girl would put up on facebook - pictures of all her friends one after another. She should go for the artistic shots. Also, she should not rely so much on all that funky over processing. It gets rather old after a few images.

Just some thoughts, hopefully helpful.

Thanks so much for your comments and insight Jeff, which are very useful. As it happens, all the images are of her - in different guises and some "over processed". I will bear the points in mind when uploading the old and new stuff to the gallery on here. When it is done I will add some key links for review as Scott suggested (thank you Scott).
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Thanks so much for your comments and insight Jeff, which are very useful. As it happens, all the images are of her - in different guises and "over processing". I will bear the points in mind when uploading the old and new stuff to the gallery on here. When it is done I will add some key links for review as Scott suggested (thank you Scott).

Oh, they're all self portraits? Sorry. I guess I didn't look closely enough. I saw all the thumbnails of head shots and thought they were different people.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited October 8, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Oh, they're all self portraits? Sorry. I guess I didn't look closely enough. I saw all the thumbnails of head shots and thought they were different people.

Yes, the thumbnails do look like different people at first look, especially with her "special effects".
    edited February 17, 2009
    After some considerable time I have now resolved the issue with too many of the wrong kinds of pictures.

Anoushka now has her own SmugMug account here:

AnoushkaNewmanMedia.com

Here are 8 selected photos all in one gallery.

Insights and critiques are welcome please.

Thanks a lot.

Alex
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Loose or significantly reduce the watermark. Seriously, I can't see the images for the watermark.
    edited February 23, 2009
    Loose or significantly reduce the watermark. Seriously, I can't see the images for the watermark.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment Scott. We will soften the watermark.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Thanks for taking the time to comment Scott. We will soften the watermark.

Don't soften it, move it to the edge of the photo. I don't think she's in great risk of having many her images stolen at this point and put it in the center of the image is terribly distracting.