edited October 6, 2008
    387596470_e4F2K-X3.jpg
  • jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Nice perspective on that second shot!!!

J
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    jbr13 wrote:
    Nice perspective on that second shot!!!

J

thanks. I wonder what his was..

he came very close to eating it on that. I cringed as I took it, but I knew I had it nailed and was happy to show it to him and his dad, who was also watching close by and let out a whoop when he saw it. it's not really a jump it is more of a very short steep hill and they can launch it pretty good if they are so inclined. play on words there?...

clouds were moving in and that might have been well lit a minute before. hard to beat fall MX for cheap entertainment.
  • jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Yeah, I had several othe things going on this weekend or I would have went to Budds Creek, for a local race. I love shooting MX.

What track were your at for those?

J
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Love seeing motocross pics. I shot all summer long at our local track. You can see some at my SmugMug site.
    Lara Poirrier
    Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
    My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter
    edited October 8, 2008
    jbr13 wrote:
    Yeah, I had several othe things going on this weekend or I would have went to Budds Creek, for a local race. I love shooting MX.

What track were your at for those?

J

Ace MX. Ulster County NY. Half way between NYC and Albany on the west side of the Hudson.

389182370_KgFAN-X3.jpg
    edited October 8, 2008
    Love seeing motocross pics. I shot all summer long at our local track. You can see some at my SmugMug site.

Checked your site out. Nice shots. How do you find the sales going? Do you hand out biz cards? Are you the only photog covering those tracks?

I started getting serious this summer and the resident established photog seems to feel I'm treading on his turf. I give a lot of free 4x6's out and also have a free girls gallery.

I'm still amazed for a young demograph how many of them seem PC illiterate.
    edited October 9, 2008
    amadeus wrote:
    Checked your site out. Nice shots. How do you find the sales going? Do you hand out biz cards? Are you the only photog covering those tracks?

I started getting serious this summer and the resident established photog seems to feel I'm treading on his turf. I give a lot of free 4x6's out and also have a free girls gallery.

I'm still amazed for a young demograph how many of them seem PC illiterate.

I paid to be a sponsor of the local Racing Lions club this summer so I could be their "official" photographer for the summer. Meaning...no other photographers allow to sell pics from the races. I also do the club favors like end of year slideshow pics and design their ads etc.

Lots of family on the track taking pictures but after the first race they started giving me my space and quit walking in front of me.

I can see why the established photog would be threatened if you are handing out freebies. Why buy the cow and all that. The problem is getting the computer literate teenager to quit stealing the proofs for MySpace and get mom and dad to pay for their usage. deal.gif
    Lara Poirrier
  • BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    The problem is getting the computer literate teenager to quit stealing the proofs for MySpace and get mom and dad to pay for their usage. deal.gif

That is 1000% why i stopped going to every race to take pictures! After seeing the pictures online elsewhere. I now go and take the shots that I like and if someone asks me to do some of them - OK! It has worked out for the best actually, the track organizer liked my stuff and offered to pay me for my time for a race or two - and still be able to sell the picture to the riders as long as the track gets a cd! I thought that was alright!

A few questions, do you guys print the pictures onsite for the riders? Do you find you have alot of interest from families to see their child on the internet with no intention of buying your pics? Out of all the racing i have done this summer, I have spent the most time on MX with the least in return! Is this the same for anyone else?

B.
    ...more to come!
    edited October 10, 2008
    The problem is getting the computer literate teenager to quit stealing the proofs for MySpace and get mom and dad to pay for their usage. deal.gif

well that is easy enough, Smugmug has the option to not allow right clicks, but I tend to leave that disabled as I like to link pics, but I think at the end of the day it is definitely curtailing sales. I think people can live with the PROOF across the pic if they can get it for free.

Next year I'll try for a bolder PROOF and mount a concentrated effort to sell more. Business cards, an easier to remember webstie besides Nachtflug.SMugmug.

Lots of options to pursue. Smaller viewing sizes.
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    I've made more money off of MX than anything. I put some business cards on the consession stand counter and made sure to post up on the local MX forums that I will be at certain races taking photos and list my website for them to view. It's nice selling prints to the young rider's relatives in states as far away as Texas.
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    amadeus wrote:
    well that is easy enough, Smugmug has the option to not allow right clicks

Sorry, but that only keeps the honest, honest. A computer literate can still steal the pictures with the right click enabled. But they will still have your watermark.
    edited October 11, 2008
    For the record......I have the right click disabled. Doesn't stop anyone but the ignorant or halfway honest.

I just find them in MySpace and then send them a message notifying them to either buy the rights or I'll file a complaint with MySpace. People either buy them or pull them. So far it's been OK to deal with.
    Lara Poirrier
  • SimonMWSimonMW Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    389182370_KgFAN-X3.jpg[/QUOTE]

Which shutter speed were you using on this one? You managed to get the rider tack sharp while still getting motion in the wheels AND the dirt nicely frozen in the air! bowdown.gif
    My website
    My Smugmug gallery
    Pentax K10D
    Canon 60D
  • ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    I've made just shy of $1000 in profit from MX photo sales at my local track in only 4 races. I put my cards on the results board and have the announcers introduce me. I originally started shooting there because I'm a contributing photographer to a MX magazine, but then folks wanted to see the pics so I got myself a Pro site here and the rest is history. Now, I've moved up to the big boys. I just got the shoot the US open in Vegas and I'll shoot 4 SX's this coming year. It has really snow balled into something big for me. Here is my collection so far:

http://www.erbemanphotos.com/Motorcycles
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro