HDR of Church in Bergamo, Italy

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited October 8, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Just playing around with HDR - these 2 were both hand held at VERY low shutter speeds - and came out ok - just playing around with different tone mapping - one more extreme than the other

Think I don't like the extreme tone mapping - it's too... well i dunno - visually striking yes but just a bit of a one off shot without any depth :dunno

388253861_wmmTD-L.jpg

388254456_DaGdV-L.jpg

You can see the full sizes here

Cheers, Jase
p.s. the portrait one - the 2nd one - is more processed/tone mapped

Comments

• RGB ProRGB Pro Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2008
    Nice!
    Nice work man! What do you do for HDR, exposure compensation? 1 shot, 2, 3 (or more)? That last photo is great looks like an illustration.
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Just took a look at the EXIF for the images - there were 3 of them -2/0/+2 exposure

ISO400, 18mm, f8, -2=1/20s / 0=1/5s - +2=10/13s

Hand held as I said

Processing is just merging the 3 RAW files in photomatix pro and then tone mapping

post processing of the tone mapped photo in Lightroom

thanks for the nice comment :D
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Excellent job, particularly that you were handholding. The last image may be a little strong but the first just brushes up against that barrier of being realistic vs over-top-surreal. thumb.gif
    edited October 8, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Excellent job, particularly that you were handholding. The last image may be a little strong but the first just brushes up against that barrier of being realistic vs over-top-surreal. thumb.gif

Thanks :D I agree on the 2nd one - I posted it as it's not wrong per se - but I'm not entirely convinced I like it.

It's a tough nut to crack the HDR that doesn't look like a HDR mwink.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Thanks :D I agree on the 2nd one - I posted it as it's not wrong per se - but I'm not entirely convinced I like it.

It's a tough nut to crack the HDR that doesn't look like a HDR mwink.gif

I didn't mean to imply "wrong". I like some of the surreal effects that are achieved with HDR. I didn't know if that was what you were intending or not. I like the image as is. :D
    edited October 8, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I didn't mean to imply "wrong". I like some of the surreal effects that are achieved with HDR. I didn't know if that was what you were intending or not. I like the image as is. :D

Don't worry - that was me commenting about my work - not your feedback :D
    I don't want to go down the track of creating totally unrealistic HDRs - but it's tough to recognise the boundaries sometimes headscratch.gif

I tried to reprocess the first one again and made it look worse! it seems that once you're involving several programs or steps what you do at the start can be compounded by a simple change later in the process

It's all a learning experience and hell if I look at the photos where I just took one frame they look like rubbish as you just can't see the detail all around in the church

Thinking about your comment I might try and re-tone map the 2nd one and go REALLY way over the top and see if that makes it even better thumb.gif

Cheers, Jase