The Changing Faces of Mt. Baker, WA

AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited October 7, 2008 in Landscapes
Was in Bellingham today the weather this morning looking east toward Baker and Sushkan didn't look too bad. By the time I got to Heather Meadows poor visibility cold rain and snow coming. You could not even tell Mount Sushkan existed from picture lake it was so socked in.
A couple of notes at Picture lake DOT workers were stopping cars and telling them today was the last day the road to artist point would be open this year. They told me they actually had to plow it yesterday.
Also Hwy 542 about 3 miles from Heather Meadows is down to 1 lane and looks like it will be that way for a long time to come so expect delays.
They are probably going to get at least 6+" of white stuff tonight.

Ray Still

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Wow! I'm so glad I decided to take last Wednesday off from work to shoot up there. Thanks for the update, guess I'll have to get my mountain fall colors elsewhere, the good news is there's more than a few mountains in the cascades to choose from :D
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    darn. Looks like Ptarmigan Ridge will now have to wait until next year. Thanks for the heads up..
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Was in Bellingham today the weather this morning looking east toward Baker and Sushkan didn't look too bad. By the time I got to Heather Meadows poor visibility cold rain and snow coming. You could not even tell Mount Sushkan existed from picture lake it was so socked in.
    A couple of notes at Picture lake DOT workers were stopping cars and telling them today was the last day the road to artist point would be open this year. They told me they actually had to plow it yesterday.
    Also Hwy 542 about 3 miles from Heather Meadows is down to 1 lane and looks like it will be that way for a long time to come so expect delays.
    They are probably going to get at least 6+" of white stuff tonight.

Ray Still

glad i went up there earlier! they closed the road to Artist Point for one day a couple of weeks ago, and i'd thought that was it for the season, but when i got there on the 28th, it was open again, so i went up and got some shots. light was harsh (thinking the road was closed, i'd left home late), but a little tweaking got me some decent images. i guess that was my last chance for the season, looks like i'll be shooting fall colors somewhere other than Baker/Shuksan... ne_nau.gif
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com