Are you kidding me Adobe?!

TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited October 7, 2008 in Finishing School
Okay, my user profile has somehow become corrupted in regards to my Photoshop and it was crashing a ton... Turns out this particular error is common in SC3 but Adobe won't bother to release a patch.

Well I had to create a new user account and when I tested it the first time everything worked fine... Now I go to open Photoshop a second time in the new account and it says that my licensing is now voided! I didn't try to swap computers, I didn't try to copy the Photoshop, I just created a new user account on the same computer and it's voided?! Are you serious?!

FYI=This is a legal copy of PS as well, no hacking!!!

:nah

Comments

• i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Wowzer, sounds like something really screwy is going on (either with their software or your PC.) CS3 does seem to be a little less reliable for me than CS2 was, but it still only crashes 1-2 times per month, and I'm usually doing something memory intensive. Last time it was a 15 shot pano rendering in the background CS3 while I had Dreamweaver, Flash, and MediaCoder x64 chuggin away....:D yea, I'm impatient...

However I've heard good things about Adobe tech support - have you tried callig them? For the cash we drop on their software it better be at least helpful.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Tdcompton wrote:
    Okay, my user profile has somehow become corrupted in regards to my Photoshop and it was crashing a ton... Turns out this particular error is common in SC3 but Adobe won't bother to release a patch.

Well I had to create a new user account and when I tested it the first time everything worked fine... Now I go to open Photoshop a second time in the new account and it says that my licensing is now voided! I didn't try to swap computers, I didn't try to copy the Photoshop, I just created a new user account on the same computer and it's voided?! Are you serious?!

FYI=This is a legal copy of PS as well, no hacking!!!

:nah
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb401528&sliceId=2
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:

While I can certainly understand Adobe's righteous desire to protect their intellectual properties, doing so by making it's customers jump through hoops is just plain wrong. They need to clean up their DRM scheme!
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    This issue can occur after any of the following circumstances:
    • Initial installation.
    • Product has previously started successfully.
    • During regular use of product.

:splat
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    While I can certainly understand Adobe's righteous desire to protect their intellectual properties, doing so by making it's customers jump through hoops is just plain wrong. They need to clean up their DRM scheme!
    thumb.gif
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:

This a pet peeve of mine. I bought a Mac this spring, and it was a headache to get the license transferred. What irks me is that hey already allow you to run CS3 on more than one machine, and they do licensing online. There are no good technical reasons why you should be restricted to one platform.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    :splat

"Hi, we've installed a bomb in your Professional-level software that may cause it to stop functioning and cause you to lose time fixing it. This bomb might go off at any time for no good reason, or might never go off. It's part of our security system."

Having said all that, I once had the "pleasure" of re-installing Quark on a desktop for one of our users. :bash
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    MarkR wrote:
    "Hi, we've installed a bomb in your Professional-level software that may cause it to stop functioning and cause you to lose time fixing it. This bomb might go off at any time for no good reason, or might never go off. It's part of our security system."

Having said all that, I once had the "pleasure" of re-installing Quark on a desktop for one of our users. :bash

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Isn't Quark the greatest? No wonder everyone is switching to InDesign!

Here's the weirdest tale of all. My daughter removed her hard drive when she had to have her computer taken to the Fix-It people (she blew out her firewire) so she could still access her files and programs. She put the hard drive into her own computer she brought to the office. When the computer was returned all fixed and she reinstalled the hard drive into the original computer Quark refused to work!

After calling tech support and having to wait an entire DAY. In the graphic design industry this is way too long not to have access to your program. For sure the clients don't care what your internal problems are, they just want their work completed. We had to share Quark on my computer, which was no fun. Finally they sent a new code we had to install, talk about a LOT of numbers to enter, it's easy to enter them wrong too...

When she blew out the second firewire card we all groaned, knowing we'd have to do the same thing all over again. I think we tracked the firewire problem to her iPod.

What I can't understand is how Quark was smart enough to determine that the hard drive was removed and then replaced. And what difference should it make, it's the same hard drive. Grrrrrrr. Don't get me started.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Dee wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Isn't Quark the greatest? No wonder everyone is switching to InDesign!
    Not to hijack this thread or anything, but IIRC, when I reinstalled Quark, I had to register, to go to a web page, to get a code, which when entered allowed the Quark Software to phone home, to generate an HTML page, to generate a different code that had to be manually re-entered into the Quark Program.eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuheek7.gif
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:

NONE of this worked... I have to remove everything and hope and pray I can reinstall everything normally

:soapbox