LightRoom 2 Photos Look Brighter/Different than when Published on SmugMug?

RGB ProRGB Pro Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited October 8, 2008 in Finishing School
Greetings! When viewing my images in LightRoom 2 vs. what I just published on SmugMug, they appear to be brighter in the LightRoom interface (I have LightRoom and the browser open side by side). My screen is calibrated with a commercial spider and software, wondering what the deal is?

Images are all SRGB (out of camera and in LightRoom) rendered as 100% Quality JPGs from Canon CR2 Raw files, system is Win XP Pro. Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    RGB Pro wrote:
    Greetings! When viewing my images in LightRoom 2 vs. what I just published on SmugMug, they appear to be brighter in the LightRoom interface (I have LightRoom and the browser open side by side). My screen is calibrated with a commercial spider and software, wondering what the deal is?

Images are all SRGB (out of camera and in LightRoom) rendered as 100% Quality JPGs from Canon CR2 Raw files, system is Win XP Pro. Thanks in advance for any input!

Several questions for you:
    1. Are you sure that when you exported the images from Lightroom, you chose sRGB as the colorspace for the export? Can you point me to an original size image in your Smugmug account (link please) that I can look at that has this issue and I can check a number of properties on the image?
    2. What browser are you using? Are you aware that Lightroom is a color-managed application and Firefox2 and IE are not color-managed. That means that they do not display accurate colors on most monitors. Lightroom shows it correctly. Safari is color managed and Firefox 3 can be color managed when the preference is turned on. Firefox 2 and IE do not display accurate colors, even on a calibrated/profiled monitor.
    3. What kind of monitor are you using? Is it, by any chance, one of the newer wide gamut LCD monitors?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Firefox 3 can be color managed
    Here's how.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    RGB Pro wrote:

And virtually any other viewer will see your SM images slightly differently. Very likely on a non-managed monitor and with non-managed browser. LR Web uploads will always be sRGB. Srgb is the ONLY recommended color space for web images.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Thanks
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Here's how.

Ric,

Thanks. I had not seen that before and have always used the more lengthy manual method. The add-in is much simpler. Need to donate...

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown