• b8264db8264d Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Gorgeous IR. Love the shapes also.
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    That's just awesome! Nice image! thumb.gifclap.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Nice shot, Jeff. You're really getting this technique down.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • dladla Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    That's beautiful.
  • EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    It's very cool, but what are we actually looking at? Is it a composite of a "normal" shot and an IR shot? Or, is there a way to capture both "normal" colors and IR effects in a single shot?

Obviously, I don't know much about IR, but it can be fascinating to look at, so I'd like to understand it better.
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • RGB ProRGB Pro Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2008
    Yeah!
    I dig it.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Superb job !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Howdy Jeff,

What a beautiful image I am really loving the colors you're getting out of the enhanced filter, that is sure something to think about if I get another one modded.

Very nice composition, just a super image.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    EarthDog wrote:
    It's very cool, but what are we actually looking at? Is it a composite of a "normal" shot and an IR shot? Or, is there a way to capture both "normal" colors and IR effects in a single shot?

Obviously, I don't know much about IR, but it can be fascinating to look at, so I'd like to understand it better.

Good question. It was captured with a "enhanced color" IR converted Nikon D70s. There's some channel swapping of red and blue here. The sky goes from red to blue. The blue sculpture turns to red. And the green trees turn white (because they were the anchor for the white balance setting). But then, too, there's a portion of the sculpture that I decided not to apply that swapping. So you're looking at a mostly channel-swapped image. Or did I completely confuse you?

Thanks for the kind words!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Niiiiice! I really like the wierd colours :D
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Good question. It was captured with a "enhanced color" IR converted Nikon D70s. There's some channel swapping of red and blue here. The sky goes from red to blue. The blue sculpture turns to red. And the green trees turn white (because they were the anchor for the white balance setting). But then, too, there's a portion of the sculpture that I decided not to apply that swapping. So you're looking at a mostly channel-swapped image. Or did I completely confuse you?

I see! Kind of like selective colour conversion in IR.

Do you have a link to the specs of the filter you selected? I'm guessing it lets in just a touch more toward the visible red, something like a 680 nm cut-off?
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited October 7, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Niiiiice! I really like the wierd colours :D

I see! Kind of like selective colour conversion in IR.

Do you have a link to the specs of the filter you selected? I'm guessing it lets in just a touch more toward the visible red, something like a 680 nm cut-off?

Go to LifePixel and look at their different options. "Color enhanced" gives you the most data to deal with in post processing.
    Jeff Meyers
    edited October 7, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Go to LifePixel and look at their different options. "Color enhanced" gives you the most data to deal with in post processing.

Thanks, I was hoping you'd point to Lifepixel :D
    The colour enhanced is an IR-pass with the cut-off at 665 nm, I've been shooting through an R72, which has the cut-off at 720 nm.

I have the clear glass option in the camera from the same company, so I can still ask lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

edited October 12, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    ...Or did I completely confuse you?
    Ummm.... possibly. :D If it swaps red and blue, how does the sky remain blue? When you say you "decided not to apply that swapping", does that mean this is a postprocessing step? All of it? Some of it? Am I asking too many questions? :D
    edited October 12, 2008
    EarthDog wrote:
    Ummm.... possibly. :D If it swaps red and blue, how does the sky remain blue? When you say you "decided not to apply that swapping", does that mean this is a postprocessing step? All of it? Some of it? Am I asking too many questions? :D

IR-modified cameras produce red skies, hence swapping the channels makes it blue again. Channel mixing is done in post.
    Creativity's hard.

edited October 12, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    IR-modified cameras produce red skies, hence swapping the channels makes it blue again. Channel mixing is done in post.

Yes. And I selectively applied the channel mixing so as to retain the red in the center artifact.
    Jeff Meyers
    edited October 12, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Yes. And I selectively applied the channel mixing so as not to retain the red in the center artifact.

Thanks, guys :):
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Cool shot!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact