LR2 missing dialog boxes

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited October 17, 2008 in Finishing School
When I open up anything requiring a pop up dialog box. The window doesn't pop up. But LR thinks that the box is open.

i.e.
I select a batch of images and select Sync. The dialog box doesn't pop up, but when I try to click on anything. I get that annoying ding that tells me I have a dialog box open. But it's not visible to me.

I go into task manager and try to force quit and it tells me that LR is waiting from input on me. Which is correct, but I can't see the dialog box :rolleyes

Searched here and the Adobe KB. Didn't find any matches.

Details:
Vista Ultimate x64
LR2 2.0 CR 4.5 x64

Ideas before I un and reinstall? If not, where do the XMP files live by default? I want to back them up since I'm half way into a pretty big project and don't want to risk loosing existing work.

-J

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Not sure how it happens, had it on occassion on my MacBook. The dialog has popped behind the main window. If you minimize the main, you should be able to find it. At least I have on my Mac.

Also, maybe see if this occurs, at all, with the LR2.1RC trial. It also has lots of other fixes for 2.0!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    When I open up anything requiring a pop up dialog box. The window doesn't pop up. But LR thinks that the box is open.

i.e.
    I select a batch of images and select Sync. The dialog box doesn't pop up, but when I try to click on anything. I get that annoying ding that tells me I have a dialog box open. But it's not visible to me.

I go into task manager and try to force quit and it tells me that LR is waiting from input on me. Which is correct, but I can't see the dialog box rolleyes1.gif

Details:
    Vista Ultimate x64
    LR2 2.0 CR 4.5 x64

Ideas before I un and reinstall? If not, where do the XMP files live by default? I want to back them up since I'm half way into a pretty big project and don't want to risk loosing existing work.

-J

I haven't experienced this specifically on LR, but I have had a "hidden" dialog box once or twice, as described. As mentioned in the previous post, I too was able to see the dialog box by either minimizing all windows (Window Key-M) and the clicking on the program in the task bar, OR, by switching to the program in task manager. It has happened so rarely, I'm not sure if rebooting didn't fix the problem.

As far as the XMP files, they reside in the same folder as the images (same file name except .XMP). This is why they are called "side-car files".

HTH,
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

i.e.

I go into task manager and try to force quit and it tells me that LR is waiting from input on me. Which is correct, but I can't see the dialog box rolleyes1.gif

Details:
    Vista Ultimate x64
    LR2 2.0 CR 4.5 x64

-J

As others have said, the dialog may be underneath your other windows or, perhaps more likely, it could be off screen for some reason. In any case, LR is probably saving it's location in the preferences. So, before uninstalling and reinstalling, you might just try removing the LR preferences. Here's an article on where the preferences file is. You can just delete it when LR is not running and LR will create a new one. Worth a try before reinstalling. It's also worth rebooting your OS in case something is horked in the OS.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    As others have said, the dialog may be underneath your other windows or, perhaps more likely, it could be off screen for some reason. In any case, LR is probably saving it's location in the preferences. So, before uninstalling and reinstalling, you might just try removing the LR preferences. Here's an article on where the preferences file is. You can just delete it when LR is not running and LR will create a new one. Worth a try before reinstalling. It's also worth rebooting your OS in case something is horked in the OS.
    Thanks to both of you for your replies :)

It was the preferences though that fixed it in this case. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -Jon