Photoshop or not?

augustmelodyaugustmelody Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 74 Big grins
edited October 12, 2008 in Finishing School
Photoshop: When, how often, and why do you use it?

This forum was my first introduction to "real world" photography. I remember my first days of browsing through the photos posted here in absolute awe of the talent and knowledge of photography that is present on this board. Many of the photos are nothing short of jaw-dropping.

One of the biggest surprises that I found was just how commonly photoshop is used to tweak color, remove a dust spot or glare, or completely alter the composition or subject of a photo. Every photography teacher or mentor I have had has been of the opinion that if the photo comes out of the camera with problems, then you need to learn how to take your photos better and fix it for the next shot. Of course, many of them seem to still be working in the world of 35mm SLRs and developing their own film, so that reasoning makes a bit of sense in their cases. I guess that idea has carried over into my own photography even though my old 35mm Minolta is collecting dust and I shoot 95% of my photos digitally now.

I have a very hard time looking at a photo and thinking, "Oh, it's a little bit blue-heavy, I'll adjust that in PS." I don't even have PS on this computer, and although I have access to the tech and printing labs at school, I would be at a loss for when and how to use the technology. I know my way around Photoshop well enough, but I would like to hear your thoughts on when and how it is appropriate to modify a photo. I would also love some opinions on just where the line is between "photography" and "graphic art".

Thanks everyone! :bow

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    just where the line is between "photography" and "graphic art"

ne_nau.gif

For me, it's when reality is distorted to the point that it becomes fantasy.

I've seen gorgeous shots where after close inspection or self admission...the subject never existed in the environment that it is displayed in. The background may be a complete digital fabrication...on and on.

Guess only you can answer that question for yourself.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    I would be at a loss for when and how to use the technology. I know my way around Photoshop well enough, but I would like to hear your thoughts on when and how it is appropriate to modify a photo.

I use Photoshop for anything I would have done in the darkroom. And that's a very long list, from tone and color tweaks to spotting out dust and scratches. On the other hand, partly because I don't have all the time in the world, I don't really do anything that wouldn't be done in the darkroom by most people, like synthetic image combinations and wild alterations.

Your teachers are right that the best and fastest way to make good pictures is get it "right" in camera, but on the other hand if they know anything about Ansel Adams his negatives look NOTHING like the final prints. In the darkroom he chemically manipulated both negatives and prints in more ways than any of us can even think of even in Photoshop. So there's nothing immoral about manipulation, Photoshop or not (outside of photojournalism) unless you want to question the very nature of the working techniques of Ansel Adams and others.
  • augustmelodyaugustmelody Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Thank you for your replies.

Colourbox, your insight gives me yet another factor to ponder. I know very little about what goes on in the darkroom other than that the masters that you speak of are indeed able to do things far beyond the limits of photoshop in some cases. My question remains, however - Whether you are using photoshop or the darkroom, when and to what degree is editing or image modification appropriate and acceptable within the bounds of "photography"? Is that simply one of the final steps to producing a good photo or is it another art form completely?
  • JayMitchJayMitch Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Are you aware that adjustments are being made to your digital images now? The raw data in even a good quality digital capture will result in a disappointing print every time. Your images look the way they do because little microchips in your camera and in the equipment used by whoever makes your prints are making automatic adjustments using some very clever built-in software. They are at least adding contrast and color saturation, adjusting white balance, and adding some "sharpening" in an attempt to create a print that looks more like the way you remember the scene.

Folks use photoshop and other programs partly because a human being with some practice can do this better than software making educated guesses. You can also do more creative things, just like in a darkroom, like cropping, dodging and burning, color enhancements, and lots more.

Of course, you can also really change what's in the image. If a power line is spoiling an otherwise great landscape, you can grab your handy clone tool and take it out. For a photojournalist this is an ethical no-no. For the rest of us, I see no problem unless it's done with an intent actualy to deceive someone. After all, if an artist painted the same landscape you wouldn't be shocked if he decided not to include the power line.

Of course, there are issues people have different opinions about. On a portrait, I would remove a pimple, but I would certainly not try to remove freckles. One was temporary; the other is part of the subject's appearance. (Not a good example maybe -- I think most people would agree with that distinction.)

It really comes down to how much time and money you are willing to spend to create better pictures. In the film days, some people invested time and money in acquiring, mastering and using darkroom equipment. Most folks were quite happy taking their film to Walgreens. It's the same with digital - just substitute post-processing on a computer for the darkroom.

--Jay
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Cams and Photoshop are just tools and vehicles to get to the end point of your vision
    Photoshop: When, how often, and why do you use it?

This forum was my first introduction to "real world" photography. I remember my first days of browsing through the photos posted here in absolute awe of the talent and knowledge of photography that is present on this board. Many of the photos are nothing short of jaw-dropping.

One of the biggest surprises that I found was just how commonly photoshop is used to tweak color, remove a dust spot or glare, or completely alter the composition or subject of a photo. Every photography teacher or mentor I have had has been of the opinion that if the photo comes out of the camera with problems, then you need to learn how to take your photos better and fix it for the next shot. Of course, many of them seem to still be working in the world of 35mm SLRs and developing their own film, so that reasoning makes a bit of sense in their cases. I guess that idea has carried over into my own photography even though my old 35mm Minolta is collecting dust and I shoot 95% of my photos digitally now.

I have a very hard time looking at a photo and thinking, "Oh, it's a little bit blue-heavy, I'll adjust that in PS." I don't even have PS on this computer, and although I have access to the tech and printing labs at school, I would be at a loss for when and how to use the technology. I know my way around Photoshop well enough, but I would like to hear your thoughts on when and how it is appropriate to modify a photo. I would also love some opinions on just where the line is between "photography" and "graphic art".

Thanks everyone! bowdown.gif

With film you ahve various grades of printing: the el cheapo very minimal tweak consumer grade...aka Walgreens or Wal Mart......then you have the Professional Labs that also have various grades.....such as candid, Pro and then the top Master grade.....
    What each of these grades do is a different amount of tweaking to the negative or slide in the printing process....with the lowest grades itis pretty much slide the carrier in and hit a button to expose the paper.....then you have the top grade "Master"....with a lot of labs this will not only include color adjustments, burning and dodging, dust spotting but also it may include a certain amount of touch up by the labs professional touch up artist.....

Photoshop for me is just that my darkroom and I do no more in Pshotoshop than I would in my darkroom, except that now I do not have to breathe all those chemicals nor worry about what to do with the waste chemicals and in reality it really is a money saver as there will undoubtedly be new versions...but that doesn't mean that your copy wil expire in 6months or even 5 years.....I am still using Photoshop 7....it was great and I was stupid with my money, in that I started buying up every plug in I had the money for....so I cannot afford to ever uninstall PS7 and throw away over 1500 different plugins.....nor can I afford to upgrade all of those to work with current versions of PS......

It is simply a tool......if Andy Warhol were alive now he would be turnig out some really outrageous Art...even more outrageous than he did......

I take some of my stuff to some really extreme extremes just to see if I can keep it together, when I know that my vision and what I can create in the camera are 2 very different things.....both the camera and Photoshop are just tools and vehicles to get to the end point of your vision.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    .....I am still using Photoshop 7....
    Last chance, Art!
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    As of late I find myself using Lightroom (1.4, cause I'm broke too) for 80% of my edits/crops/color correction. However, if there's something I want to try - maybe overprocessed look or hue changes or grain - who knows - I'm quick to toss it into PS CS3. Pony up another $90 for a small Wacom tablet and you'll probably love it too. The incredible depth of what you can do with layers - from fixing highlights, ironing out noise, literally everything under the sun. Frequently if I'm doing any background trickery it's to blur our more of the background. I can't afford that dream f/2.8 300mm with the gold rim - so I have to add some depth of field the redneck way.

I'm also interested in the Liquify tool, but I just haven't had the time to learn it yet (look it up on youtube for some amazing work.)
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    I agree that it depends on what your goal as a photographer is. If you are a straight up photojournalist, then really any kind of PP is a no-no (IMO) as you are trying to document an event. However, I don't think landscape/nature/street photographers should be disallowed from using Photoshop. Sometimes colors need to be adjusted to show a viewer what you really saw. Sometimes a B/W conversion just works better. Oh and you'll rarely find any people photography in any editorial magazine that hasn't been heavily tweaked to make the model look as attractive as possible.

Like the others have said, people who get up-in-arms about using Photoshop to correct a photo or make it more dramatic should look into what some artistic photographers have done in a darkroom. :D When it comes to how much to use, that is really just something to decide for yourself depending on what you want your photography to do for yourself and others.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008

My question remains, however - Whether you are using photoshop or the darkroom, when and to what degree is editing or image modification appropriate and acceptable within the bounds of "photography"? Is that simply one of the final steps to producing a good photo or is it another art form completely?

Yes

Sam
  • RalphAdamRalphAdam Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2008
    Ethics and Photoshop
    Other than a photojournalist purporting to document an event or a place, I do not understand all the sturn et drang about using any tool that creates your artistic vision. To paraphrase a paradigm of life, if it looks good, do it. And, in my view, Photoshop, HDR plug-ins, and ancillary tools should be freely used, without any overlays of guilt. The only test should be whether the result produces an etherial "ah ..." Otherwise the challenge of producing great art is reduced to see who can do what with a soup-can pinhole camera.

Ralph Adam Fine

By the way, I just chose at random Jen's post as the vehicle to say what I wanted to say. Her phtographs are beautiful, though, and I do not care how she created them. :>)

JenGrace wrote:
    I agree that it depends on what your goal as a photographer is. If you are a straight up photojournalist, then really any kind of PP is a no-no (IMO) as you are trying to document an event. However, I don't think landscape/nature/street photographers should be disallowed from using Photoshop. Sometimes colors need to be adjusted to show a viewer what you really saw. Sometimes a B/W conversion just works better. Oh and you'll rarely find any people photography in any editorial magazine that hasn't been heavily tweaked to make the model look as attractive as possible.

Like the others have said, people who get up-in-arms about using Photoshop to correct a photo or make it more dramatic should look into what some artistic photographers have done in a darkroom. :D When it comes to how much to use, that is really just something to decide for yourself depending on what you want your photography to do for yourself and others.
  • jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    JenGrace wrote:
    I agree that it depends on what your goal as a photographer is. If you are a straight up photojournalist, then really any kind of PP is a no-no (IMO) as you are trying to document an event.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Suppose you take a shot where there's no detail in the shadows, which is also where the interesting stuff is (a drug deal going down, a politician being handed an envelope, whatever). Suppose you run PP Shadow/Highlight (or do some other thing in PP) to bring this out. Why would this be wrong, ethically? You're just making what was there more obvious.

This is a very controversial topic in medical journals. I've read (can't cite the reference, sorry) that it's now forbidden to do anything except increase the overall contrast of an image submitted to a journal. Increasing the contrast of a part of the image is right out. I can't say I get this (maybe it's doctors trying to be PP experts, don't know).

There certainly is a line somewhere (talking about photojournalism here, not photographic art). At some point, you change what was there into something else. IMO, it's really hard to specify where that line is. It can't be no changes whatsoever.
    John Bongiovanni
    edited October 12, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:

Ric.....didn't mean that I ONLY had PS7.....I also have CS and 2....but did not load as upgrades.....I have full blown versions side by side....well of PS7 and CS2....not going to do CS4 until I get a new box....this old box just doesn't have the steam to run cs4....new box is going to be a core 2 quad with 4-8gb ram....already made up my mind......but I will migrate PS7 (and all those plug ins) over to it....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited October 12, 2008
    jjbong wrote:
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Suppose you take a shot where there's no detail in the shadows, which is also where the interesting stuff is (a drug deal going down, a politician being handed an envelope, whatever). Suppose you run PP Shadow/Highlight (or do some other thing in PP) to bring this out. Why would this be wrong, ethically? You're just making what was there more obvious.

This is a very controversial topic in medical journals. I've read (can't cite the reference, sorry) that it's now forbidden to do anything except increase the overall contrast of an image submitted to a journal. Increasing the contrast of a part of the image is right out. I can't say I get this (maybe it's doctors trying to be PP experts, don't know).

There certainly is a line somewhere (talking about photojournalism here, not photographic art). At some point, you change what was there into something else. IMO, it's really hard to specify where that line is. It can't be no changes whatsoever.

I had some really badly exposed shots of some very famous nashville residents and as far as I could tell they just needed to be trashed.....but I got to looking at them and there was enough detail that an artist friend co-worker took a stab at doing a pencil drawing and it looked great....he asked me if I had any version of PS and all I had at the time was LE (LE was similar to elements now)....it was a tweener from PS4 - 5 and was dubbed PS5LE....any way in the filters area was the link named LINE DRAWING.......it worked magic on a ton of my bad photos....especially since I cannot draw at all.....and the Nashville residents loved the shots as did one now deceased Floridian rock and roller........but when I uploaded ps7 and uninstalled LE I lost the line drawing in the filters and what they now offer is no where close.....and unfortunately I sold LE before realizing Adobe had taken it out of the sketch filters........

But for photo journalism at least for news papers in this area....it an absolute death sentence if you PS a file for print.....it is to be printed as shot.....for mags.....I have no clue, due to the fact that the only types of mags I read are either photo related, spiritual energy healing, Buddhist, or hunting and fishing mags....and all of those can be PS'ed somewhat....the hunting mags do not really want to see a Caribou rack on the largest mid western Whitetail or Muley......unless it for a paradoxial / satirical story.

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008

Colourbox, your insight gives me yet another factor to ponder. I know very little about what goes on in the darkroom other than that the masters that you speak of are indeed able to do things far beyond the limits of photoshop in some cases. My question remains, however - Whether you are using photoshop or the darkroom, when and to what degree is editing or image modification appropriate and acceptable within the bounds of "photography"? Is that simply one of the final steps to producing a good photo or is it another art form completely?

You would be surprised at what can be done in the darkroom. For instance, green screen style compositing started as an photo darkroom process by creating the masks with filters and high contrast film followed by mutiple exposures on a copy stand. Photography as always been as much about darkroom craft as it has been about camera craft and personally I don't think that has changed with digital. I find it a little odd to be told that techniques I used to reguarly use in the darkroom are somehow no longer photography now that I am doing the same thing in Photoshop.

Personally, I consider the dividing line between photography and graphic arts to be similar to the dividing line between live action and animation in the movies. It stops being a photography when the central components of an image are drawn by hand (or 3d rendered) instead of captured with a camera.
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Not intended as a controversial comment but when I look at many photos on-line I find myself wondering "Was that done in camera or manipulated in PhotoShop? Has the photographer mastered his camera, light, and composition, or his software?" (or both?)

I freely admit to tweaking my photos to make them look better. No way I've mastered my camera technique but my ultimate goal is to take photos that require little in the way of computer enhancement. It's a rare shot that comes out of the camera "finished." The urge to "fix and improve" is usually irresistible so I do my share of experimentation in the computer since the other goal is to make images that people enjoy viewing.

I seem to recall that one of the great photographers of the last century didn't believe in a lot of darkroom manipulation and even went so far as to burn his negatives before he died so others could not print what he did not intend to be printed. I don't remember who it was. Anyone?

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • RalphAdamRalphAdam Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    I agree with you John ---
    In your example, the "event" is the transfer of the envelope -- not the upkeep of the wall (which may be dark) or the quality of the lighting. Thus, in my view, there would be no problem with, for example, using s-h to bring out the details ... it would be wrong, though (and this is obvious), to put in an envelope merely because before the photographer was ready he or she saw a transfer made (or was told by someone else that that person had seen transfers of envelopes). Ralph

jjbong wrote:

• WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    I believe that an artist is an artist and whether they show their talent straight from the camera or in photoshop is a mute point. The end result is a fabulous picture! I personally am a much better photoshopper than I am a photographer. I can so much better understand how to make things right on the computer than I can in a camera. My brain just works that way. One reason I became a photographer was taking pictures of stillborn babies for their families then manipulating all the damage they suffered in photoshop to give their parents a quality picture they could frame and put on their wall with the rest of their family. Without photo manipulation software this wouldn't be possible. Everybody has their own talent so whatever your is let it shine:ivar
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    I always shake my head in disbelief when I hear statements like"in photojournalism no PP is allowed".

This is a nonsensical statement.

Without PP there is no image to be seen. Once you press the shutter button, and capture the data, ether on film, or with an electronic sensor, you must take some further action )work, processing, etc.) in order to see the image on a computer screen, or in print. DUH!

The question should really be setting standards, and limits on what PP is deemed acceptable for various uses.

Sam