Good Light During Youth Football Game

bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
edited October 17, 2008 in Sports
Had some great morning light during one of the three games I shot on Saturday. The coin flip was at 9:30 a.m. and we had full sun during the entire game. These kids have really nice uniforms and they play in the high school's huge stadium, which they really enjoy.

Pics taken with D300 and 70-200 2.8 VR + TC17E...

-1-
389209879_ppPCo-L.jpg

-2-
389236439_b7Dy9-L.jpg

-3-
389226381_KoGrp-L.jpg

-4-
389226829_TERgJ-L.jpg

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Very nice photos! They do seem just a little darken (but, I'm not sure if my monitor or not).
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Bob,

NIce sharp photos - tight and great exposure.
    The one nit is the cutting off of the feet on 1 & 3.

Man I get a kick out of the fact the little kids now have a playlist on their arm:D
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Because I don't know.
    I agree with johng about the feet.

I'm asking this question because I don't know. Would using a polarizer cut down on the glare in the face shield in #3, #4?

Very nice clean shots.
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Great Pictures, really awesome. Giving me some examples of how to take tight photos and frame them correctly..

David
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    johng wrote:
    Bob,

NIce sharp photos - tight and great exposure.
    The one nit is the cutting off of the feet on 1 & 3.

Man I get a kick out of the fact the little kids now have a playlist on their arm:D

Hi John,

The ones with the feet clipped is my effort in embracing the "crop tighter" theory. If I remember the rule correctly, you can chop off limbs as long as you're not chopping off at the joints. So, either cut at the thigh or cut at the shins. What is your take on this? Maybe I'll crop tighter at the thighs instead of the shins...thumb.gif
  • sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    nice photos, 1 and 3 if you were going to crop tighter, should have been at knees not ankles.

Very nice shots.
  • jrowphotojrowphoto Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Really nice photos!! That morning light is usually pretty good, isn't it? I'm using a similar setup (D300, 70-200 and TC14).

I actually don't mind your tighter crops. I keep thinking I need the 4x6 to be from top of head to get the feet in, but the more I look around online at ESPN, SI, Sporting News, etc. I see tighter crops with just upper body, not full body shots (probably more a product of them shooting from one spot a lot with a 400 or 500 mm lens... when the action comes to you, not much they can do until they're close enough to switch to their backup and wider angle). I also have been shooting a couple of times with guys that used to shoot NFL, and they shoot in landscape orientation a lot more than I thought. Maybe it's better at a long distance, and they can then crop?
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Ditto on cropping. If you don't get everything in with the original shot, go ahead and crop tighter, making sure you don't cut off at the joints.