DSS10 Concept...

PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
edited October 9, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Probably 98.7% of all my post work is done in Lightroom. I'm not at all conversant in Photoshop - so this topic seems like the perfect subject to try to get to know it better and learn some new techniques.

Here's my admittedly botched-up 1st attempt at a concept for DSS10. I'm pretty sure I could make the ghost me better with more trial & error and practice.

389391877_m3XUQ-M-1.jpg

Comments

• tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    very creepy. I would like to see the "ghost" better. I see where you going with the transparent look. But the couch through the ghost is distracting a little. headscratch.gif
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Thanks tamplum. I agree that the ghost's face shoud be less transparent.

Your comment about it being "creepy" made me think that perhaps the solid me should be in a casket and the ghost me should be looking down from above...hmm.
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Paul, I'm in awe that you have come up with something so fast and wonderfulbowdown.gif . I'm still looking at the words of the poem trying to understand them enough to start to get my head around this one:cry

Cheers/peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    looks good. That white on the far left is distracting though, crop it a little maybe?
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    pemmett wrote:
    Paul, I'm in awe that you have come up with something so fast and wonderfulbowdown.gif . I'm still looking at the words of the poem trying to understand them enough to start to get my head around this one:cry

Cheers/peter

Me too!
    edited October 8, 2008
    tamplum wrote:
    very creepy. I would like to see the "ghost" better. I see where you going with the transparent look. But the couch through the ghost is distracting a little. headscratch.gif

I agree, I think you need to try to get the ghost's face to show up just a little bit better.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Great idea!

Is it possible to have the ghost peering over from behind the sofa? Just a thought - it would lose the sofa-through-the-nose effect and perhaps be even creepier?

And I too am impressed! I've been wracking my brains since it was posted and as yet have only the vaguest ideas, none of which quite float my boat. Not sure if I'm up to this one, but we'll see how i get on in coming days....!! :)
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    I think you are on to something already. Looks great!
    edited October 8, 2008
    Thanks pemmett, pyroprints, richtersl, divamum & shatch for your comments!

I took another run at it this morning...I tried to keep some more detail in the face of the ghost.

389489770_tgoeN-M-1.jpg

Off to my day job now...
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    I think it is a great concept and is very intersting photo. Have you tried doing the whole thing in-camera instead of going with photoshop? Just an idea but you could do the same thing with a long exposure and possibly create a more "real" feeling... i dunno. ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    pemmett wrote:

Cheers/peter

headscratch.gif theres a poem?
    Aaron Nelson
    edited October 8, 2008
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    oh crap, i thought that was just an example of text....
    Aaron Nelson
  • tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    oh crap, i thought that was just an example of text....

Laughing.gif, so did I at first.
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Hi Paul,

Have you tried "reflections" action or perhaps a "Mirage" action.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited October 8, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I think it is a great concept and is very interesting photo. Have you tried doing the whole thing in-camera instead of going with photoshop? Just an idea but you could do the same thing with a long exposure and possibly create a more "real" feeling... i dunno. ne_nau.gif

I could try doing something in-camera, but I really want to use this round to learn some new stuff in photoshop because I currently suck at it and I want to get better. I see the stuff the shatch cranks out so effortlessly and I don't even have a clue how to start.
    Tentacion wrote:
    Hi Paul,

Have you tried "reflections" action or perhaps a "Mirage" action.

I've only tried one action before and that was a kind of thing that made a photo look a little like a cartoon. I've seen some really amazing ripply reflection stuff that I think was Photo-shopped - do you have a link to an action or tutorial that you can recommend?

My mind is going crazy with ideas, but my skill-set to make them happen needs improvement. For instance, I know how to make a selection, but I don't know how to make a mask or what the difference is.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    I could try doing something in-camera, but I really want to use this round to learn some new stuff in photoshop because I currently suck at it and I want to get better. I see the stuff the shatch cranks out so effortlessly and I don't even have a clue how to start.

I've only tried one action before and that was a kind of thing that made a photo look a little like a cartoon. I've seen some really amazing ripply reflection stuff that I think was Photo-shopped - do you have a link to an action or tutorial that you can recommend?

My mind is going crazy with ideas, but my skill-set to make them happen needs improvement. For instance, I know how to make a selection, but I don't know how to make a mask or what the difference is.

I'm not really sure how much time you have to dedicate to photoshoping for this challenge, but to learn some of the techniques/tools I suggest picking up a copy of Photoshop Creative magazine and follow one of the tutorials. Just going through one of the shorter tutorials will expand you're photoshop knowledge so much that you will then find your current exercize very simple (at least, that's what happened with me). The magazine is a UK mag (they make the best magazines there!) but I usually pick up a copy at Fry's Electronics or Barnes & Noble. I am sure Borders has it too. Not sure what stores you have in your area, but these are all chains. Expect to pay around $16 for the mag - totally worth it.

I also learned a bit about masks and such by following the very simple tutorial for OOB photos here: http://www.logicscape.com/oob_tutorials/
    ~ Lisa
  • idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Cool idea, nice work so fast man. :)
  • HumpreyCogayHumpreyCogay Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    I like the first image sir... =)..... IMHO, the drama is much more felt on the darker lighting....
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2008

Hi Paul, sorry for the late reply, I'm sort of out of it a bit (messed up arm). Send me your email address, I work alot with actions. My email addie is admin@dnty.com

Peace
    Donna P
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 9, 2008
    Nice work Paul! I like the second one with the face showing more. Very nice work!thumb.gif
    edited October 9, 2008
    darkdragon, I went to the web site and downloaded the OOB tutorials - I'll definitely be trying my hand at a few of those! It looks like a lot of fun!

Tentacion, Thanks, you can reach me at paultmckee at yahoo.com.

idiom, Thanks for your kind words.

HumpreyCogay, I agree w/you and darkened the version I entered to bring back a little of the drama.

JAG, Thanks and I've tried to strike a balance between the two.

I have a half dozen other ideas for this round but don't know if I will make them happen - so I've entered the current shot.

BTW - Here's an article that I read three years ago on the subject of mortality and our place in the continuum of time that I found thought provoking...