Options

Full size photos?

skywalkerbethskywalkerbeth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited October 8, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi

I just joined and already with the questions. :scratch

How do you upload photos that cannot be accessed as full size by anyone from the outside? If they can be accessed as full size, what is to prevent someone from just enlarging it on screen, right clicking and saving?

Thank you! :lust

Beth

whoops, I think I put this in the wrong place...

Comments

• Options
    skywalkerbethskywalkerbeth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    The right forum? sizing photos for online viewing
    Hi

I just joined and already with the questions. headscratch.gif

How do you upload photos that cannot be accessed as full size by anyone from the outside? If they can be accessed as full size, what is to prevent someone from just enlarging it on screen, right clicking and saving?

Thank you! iloveyou.gif

Beth

ps. ignore the other Q in the wrong forum please...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Hi

I just joined and already with the questions. headscratch.gif

Thank you! iloveyou.gif

Beth

ps. ignore the other Q in the wrong forum please...ne_nau.gif

In the customize gallery screen for a given gallery, go to the security and privacy section and you can set the largest size that your visitors are allowed to see. It is a direct tradeoff. The larger a size you allow, the more awesome viewing experience they can have because Smugmug automatically picks the display images that fit a viewer's screen, but of course, the more likely someone can borrow your image and make prints of their own.

Depending upon what level account you have there are other security precautions against copying you can take such as right-click protection (which is really only a deterrent - fairly easy to get around) and watermarks (which are pretty foolproof if done right).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Please don't destroy your displayed images with obnoxious watermarks! Lots of folks here ruin their stuff in some vain attempt to protect the image while making it unpleasant to look at too. :-) If it is unpleasant to look at then why bother ...huh? :-P

The size issue is in the customization features of your account. It is a good idea to know what oyu can and cannot do with your given subscription level.

Cheers,
    David