Finally -- Some HS Football Shots to be Proud Of (?)

KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
edited October 10, 2008 in Sports
Football hasn't been my main focus in sports, and early on I've had to shoot in lots of bad lighting and highly overcast conditions, with less than exciting results for the most part. BUT, last weekend I had the perfect combination of a huge game and wonderful sun, and I think I got some results to be pleased with. I brought out the big rig (400). Clearly, the sun is our friend, C&C most welcome. PS the images appear darker here than on Smugmug, perhaps due to image size.

387419910_Yk4nW-L.jpg

387427478_RWhZY-L.jpg

387426343_eW63i-L.jpg

And if anybody has a suggestion as to how to keep the watermark consistently sized in SM regardless of crop, that would be a bonus.

Comments

• wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    Nice work. White uniforms and helmets make it tough to keep the faces visible--but these look good.

I made two watermarks--one for vertical shots and one for horizontal. It's a little bit of a pain because you have to make two passes selecting each shot individually when you watermark the shots on smugmug, but it does seem to keep them roughly the same size... There's probably a better solution out there than mine...
    Regards

Will
    I don't think it can be done. I'm guessing that the watermark, being a particular size, is laid over the image pixel for pixel. The larger your images' pixel dimentions the smaller the WM will be...or the reverse, the smaller your picture the larger the WM will appear. If all of your photos have the same post-crop pixel dimentions the WM will appear the same size. I do this in lightroom on export by setting the final export pixel dimentions. This is good/bad depending on how your photos might be printed/output. If you have heavy cropping to get tight on a players face, you will have an image that looks good at 4x6, but cannot stand up to enlargement. Increasing the pixel dimentions doesn't change this, even though [if you resize on export] you have a "high megapixel" image file. Garbage in, garbage out. Exporting everything at a uniform size hides this problem.
    And if anybody has a suggestion as to how to keep the watermark consistently sized in SM regardless of crop, that would be a bonus.
    Canon 7D! | Baux Pinhole MkIV | 30mm TP Tube Extender | SteadiHand IS system | BiPed 2000 Camera Support | Steely Gaze
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    wmstumme wrote:
    Nice work. White uniforms and helmets make it tough to keep the faces visible--but these look good.

I made two watermarks--one for vertical shots and one for horizontal. It's a little bit of a pain because you have to make two passes selecting each shot individually when you watermark the shots on smugmug, but it does seem to keep them roughly the same size... There's probably a better solution out there than mine...
    Thanks Will. BTW -- this is Ivy fall lacrosse scrimmage weekend; I can't wait for Sunday! clap.gif
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    BGtom wrote:
    I don't think it can be done.
    I think that's the bottom line. Fortunately it's not a high priority problem. Compared to many, my watermarks as applied by SM sometimes look a little "slapped on", but I don't think my audience really cares.