VE day

MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
edited May 8, 2005 in People
poppyiiis9mo.jpg

Hello,

I will have the honor and priveledge to attend this Sunday May 8th the grand opening of the new Canadian War Museum ( http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/cwme.asp ) along with my Dad, a proud 85yrs young WWII vet with the Canadian navy. The museum does'nt focus on the glory of war, in fact it focuses on the opposite.

It's going to be an very emotional day for both of us. My father instilled in me a deep sense of respect for those who fought, for those who suffered and the perils of war. It seems the only time I saw my Dad weep was around war commemorations and events. I have so few shots of him, and this will be that rare time when he won't me shooting.

I would say hands down the area of photography I have the least experience with is street/portrait. The ceremony we're attending is outdoors, then moves inside for the museum tour. So if anyone would like to share tips or experiences with this type of venue/event, it would be most apreciated.

Thanks,

AJ

P.S. Seems like this might belong in "people, candid & portraits" forum, my bad?

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 4, 2005
    AJ,

I've got no suggestions for you. Your weak point is also mine ne_nau.gif But, I did move your post here to generate some responses.

I also wanted to let you know that even though I can't help with tips, your post moved me and I wanted to let you know it was read and appreciated :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    AJ,

I've got no suggestions for you. Your weak point is also mine ne_nau.gif But, I did move your post here to generate some responses.

I also wanted to let you know that even though I can't help with tips, your post moved me and I wanted to let you know it was read and appreciated :D

Steve
    Thank you, Steve! It is VERY appreciated. I've read Andy's thread about street stuff (with all the links), there's alot in there that I understand and will try. My biggest problem is that I'm stone-cold shy around strangers, kind of makes it tough to get "in the zone". I'm confident with my photography, just not approaching people.

Thanks again Steve!

AJ
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    Aj
    I also lack in portraits but I am getting better
    My only advice to you would be to visit some different web sites to get some ideas

Here's Yuri's site
    Andy's site
    Daniel's site
    Shay's site

Also Gus did a real nice shoot along the same lines you about to do here's that link

Hope that helps
    and good luck

Fred
    edited May 8, 2005
    Well, it's THAT time. Today I bring my Dad downtown to attend the opening ceremony. I have done my homework, studied and read about the greats, how they do their stuff. The weather here in Ottawa looks great. I have alot of ideas of the types of images I want to do, and I'm ready to do it. Everything is falling into place.

Thanks Steve, Shay, Andy, Harry, Yurri, Daniel, Fred and everyone else here for the pointers, tips and inspiration. I feel prepared and confident. thumb.gif

AJ
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2005
    Aj
    Good deal can't wait to see what you come back with

Good luck
    Fred
    edited May 8, 2005
    Here's a couple from the day.

solempride2ci.jpg

listen0np.jpg

missinginaction5ke.jpg

AJ
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Here's a couple from the day.

AJ

I'd say from the looks of these, you did great! thumb.gif Which one is your dad? That last one there is intriguing...
    edited May 8, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    I'd say from the looks of these, you did great! thumb.gif Which one is your dad? That last one there is intriguing...
    Thanks Phil! Well, I'm not extatic, but not disappointed with the results. About on par with someone with my experience I figure. ne_nau.gif So I'll call it a good learning day (and I really did learn alot)! thumb.gif

About my Dad... Just didn't happen, but thats ok. We have a date to go back and visit museum this week. His just didn't come out the way I wanted.

Yeah I actually like that last one too, got it as the crowd was being seated and thought it might be a good op.

AJ
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    About my Dad... Just didn't happen, but thats ok. We have a date to go back and visit museum this week. His just didn't come out the way I wanted.

aw man, that's a bummer. Hope it works out better next time.