Alana Nikole

ClubFlysClubFlys Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited October 12, 2008 in People
So I have a teen who is interested in modeling. We did a quick 30 minute shoot in a local park. Looking for some feedback on these images. Thanks in advance.

389984371_9vabv-M.jpg

389985269_b893a-M.jpg

389986158_wLMsH-M.jpg

389987951_fBZ3h-M.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    My thoughts, in no particular order:
    • I like the lighting - very nice; dynamic
    • Did you miss an opportunity to use the outside of the tube/tunnel? Posing her in much the same manner as in the first photo, but on the outside of the tube?
    • How about varying facial expressions? Does she smile once in a while?
    • Did you get any full body shots?
    • I'm thinking her hair is getting in the way of seeing her very beautiful face. Especially in the last one where the hair is casting a strong shadow well below the level of her eyes in a manner much like one would get from a hat brim.
    • A "quieter" dress might be in order. The pattern of the dress is distracting me a bit from seeing her.
    • In the first photo, the bright light on the inside of the tunnel is drawing attention from her.
    Most of these are nits, but I felt should be pointed out if you and she are attempting to build a portfolio. I'm not a glamour photographer and know very little about that industry, but my understanding is that the modeling profession is quite competitive and the portfolio needs to be spot on to make it anywhere - just trying to help.

HTH
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    I like the composition and posing. The lighting is mixed for me. I do like the high key variation but the background in 3 is too dark in in contrrast to the subject. The hots spots in 2 seem over done and the the reflection off the wall in 1 is distracting.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    As always, Scott's reply is dead on! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    I like the lighting in #3 but she seems like she is trying too hard to look serious or sultry in all the pictures she really needs to vary her expression. for a portfolio And I'm not really loving the dress for lots of reasons. I don't think it does much for her at all.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    I like the lighting except for the last shot where there is that shadow Scott mentioned.
    I don't like the dress and it looks like there is a rash or mosquito bite on her chest area that could be fixed.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2008
    I like #2 the best.
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2008
    A modeling portfolio should present the versatility of the model- so you should be trying to achieve different looks by varying the hairstyle, clothing, poses, and expressions.
    Serious, happy go lucky, sexy, girl next door, these are some of the poses you will want to capture.
    Also , be careful of cutting off hands and feet - in one of your photos her r hand is cut off right at the wrist, which can be a little jarring.
    Good luck and hopefully you'll post some more !
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    As always, Scott's reply is dead on! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif Smart, courteous and helpful. thumb.gif Does he work here?

Malte
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    ClubFlys wrote:
    So I have a teen who is interested in modeling. We did a quick 30 minute shoot in a local park. Looking for some feedback on these images. Thanks in advance.

I really like the first one with the concrete pipe. I agree with Scott thet the bright light is distracting but on the other hand the fence in the BG I find even more distracting. Distractions aren't all bad, I think, they atleast have you exploring the image for longer, than if it was bland.

Malte
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Malte wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Smart, courteous and helpful. thumb.gif Does he work here?

Malte
    Nope - I'm just another photographer like you. If I know something (or, more likely, think I know something) I share, expecting that others will do the same. When we share, life for everybody is so much better. Help is most helpful when it's courteous - it's easier to swallow:D
  • ClubFlysClubFlys Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Great feedback. Thank you very much. I definitely will take all points seriously and think about them during the upcoming shoots.

As for her facial expression... she is under 18 and just getting into modeling. She has the look.. just needs the experience. She takes it very seriously and I know once I relay these suggestions to her, she will take action on them.

As for her outfit and hair.... the shoot was more spur of the moment and with little planning. She was out running around and shopping before we met up at the park. Not much preparation since she woke up and got ready for the day that morning.

It was more like...

"Hey, you feel up for a quick shoot?"
    "Sure"
    "Do you have a good outfit on?"
    "A nice dress."
    "Ok see you at the park at 4pm"

I think overall the shoot went well for not really any planning at all. But as for my flaws in lighting and watching the distractions... I will have pay more attention to detail.

Thank you all! I really appreciate all the feedback!