Thoughts on DSS #10

KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited October 13, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I also felt that E.A.P. was saying goodbye or trying to let go of someone or something. I don't remember if he wrote this before or after his wife died. So, with that said, I went for an image that says someone is missing or being missed.

390713227_B86GY-L-1.jpg

Possible titles:

Goodbye

I Will Miss You

Lost Love

Loves Lost

All C&C on the image and any other suggestion on a title is appreciated.

— Kevin
Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 10, 2008
    I like the simplicity of this and the great composition. As for titles...I thought that your lil line at the bottom of you name works great...
    Enjoy today....tomorrows not garranteed!thumb.gif
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    I like the simplicity of this and the great composition. As for titles...I thought that your lil line at the bottom of you name works great...

I hadn't thought of that. I like it. Thanks JAG.

My Site, My Book
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    I like your take on this - poignant yet understated. Very nice.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    I really love this, both as an interpretation and a photo.

Only tiny quibble: the bench and the foreground tree are slightly competing for my eye (especially since the tree trunk is very dark on my monitor). HOwever, that is a very SMALL quibble - I really like it!
  • GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    I really like your interpretation! I also like the fact that it takes a second for my eye to find that book laying there. It tells a great story. Nice job :)
    edited October 10, 2008
    Thanks for commenting everyone. Here is the current entry with JAG's suggestion on the title. I went back and reshot and then reworked the new image. Lightening here, darken there and so on. Please let me know if I have improved on the image or went the wrong way.

391000370_p9xHr-L-1.jpg

Another title that crossed my mind while working the new image was...

The Winter Of Our Discontent

Thanks again
    — Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    I agree with the others, about really liking this shot. I much prefer the first version, though. The new one is too light. If I were going to do any edits on the first version, I would only lighten the bench, to bring it out of the background a bit more. I think the image needs some darkness, to carry the implicit message.
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2008
    JAG wrote:

clap.gifclap.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2008
    EarthDog wrote:
    I agree with the others, about really liking this shot. I much prefer the first version, though. The new one is too light. If I were going to do any edits on the first version, I would only lighten the bench, to bring it out of the background a bit more. I think the image needs some darkness, to carry the implicit message.

And on my monitor, the 2nd one works MUCH better, so go figure!headscratch.gif With that foreground tree lightened up a bit my eye is drawn to the bench first instead of other way around.

Great image either way, though :)
    edited October 12, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    And on my monitor, the 2nd one works MUCH better, so go figure!headscratch.gif

Yeah, monitor variance is my biggest complaint about the digital photography age. My home monitor is pretty bright. My work monitors aren't. Most images look good on one or the other, but not both. rolleyes1.gif
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    I think that the first image is better. The road in this one catches the eye better and brings you down to the bench.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    I prefer #1. Those backlit trees are stunning. I'd try dodging that bench just a teeny bit to have it grab the eye.mwink.gif
  • idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    I like the original better still.
    edited October 13, 2008
    Thank you for commenting everyone. I really do appreciate it! It would seem that the majority of you still prefer the original, with a little tweaking. So, I went back to the first shot and tried to incorporate your comments. I lightened the foreground tree and the bench while keeping the book distinctive. I also emphasized the path a little.

393265180_F7PEy-L.jpg

Thanks again for looking and commenting. Hopefully I'm getting close.

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
    edited October 13, 2008
    Niiice thumb.gif On my (darkish) work monitor, this looks great!