Options

WARNING: Users of Acronis products, read this BEFORE upgrading to True Image 2009

bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited October 23, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Just an FYI to all those that use True Image:

After installing True Image 2009, you will NOT be able to use any USB based card readers. This includes both standalone readers and readers built-in to many computers that tap into the USB bus. This is a bug that occurred during development and has not been fixed before release.

Acronis has no information on when this issue will be fixed, and has no plans on formally listing this and other bugs currently known to their developers.

As of now, if you have installed the software, the only solution is to uninstall. The company has provided no workarounds, etc. even though they have known of the problem for days. (Wish I knew this before I did the upgrade, even if it was a free one)

Good luck to all, and I hope everyone who might think of upgrading reads this before they do!
Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8

Comments

• Options
    Ken112Ken112 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    RE: True Image
    Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about upgrading. I'll just stick with TI 10.0 til they sort this out.
  • Options
    dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Is this of any help?

Dan Dill
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    Thanks, I apparently was one of the first to discover this fine "bug."

Honestly, this hasn't affected me as much as I thought it would, especially since my older USB card reader seems to work fine, as does the one on my HP Officejet Printer, so those are alternatives to plugging the camera into the computer (since I have it in "device" mode not "mass storage drive" mode so it works with Camera Control Pro 2).

To anyone who tries the above link, beware of registry changes. A few users already have reported unrecoverable BSODs and their only option was Vista reinstall. If you're gonna try it, I'd make darn sure you have a working image with the fine True Image sofware before playing with fire...i mean, editing the Registry by hand!

As for Acronis, if their customer service and support continue to be this atrocious, I'll be hightailing it out of Acronis land next time I need an upgrade! My chat tech was abominable! Glad somebody got a nice human being and got the "workaround."

Good luck all!
    ~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

• Options
    CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Sadly, there are many reports of this. :(
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Finally, this has been updated. The latest patch, .9615 fixes this error.

Hope this helps anyone who jumped the gun before reading this!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90