Options

Shooting 1st Form Blk/Wht question on lighting?

GrimisGrimis Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited October 12, 2008 in Technique
I am getting ready to do my first form shoot and I am looking for any help I can get with lighting and technique. Place ment of lighting to get a certain effects. Any help would be great.

I have a Canon 40D with an L series 17-40mm. Looking for ideas to help me on my way to using M mode in low light portaits. Looking to do a blk/wht photo with lighted areas along with soft shadows and hard shadows. Also if you recommend a flash and position would be great. I have the speedlite 580ex II with ST-E2. I have heard great things and cool effects you can get by pointing the light in different directions. Thanx in advance.

J
You're Only Limited by your Imagination :scratch

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Grimis wrote:
    I am getting ready to do my first form shoot and I am looking for any help I can get with lighting and technique. Place ment of lighting to get a certain effects. Any help would be great.

I have a Canon 40D with an L series 17-40mm. Looking for ideas to help me on my way to using M mode in low light portaits. Looking to do a blk/wht photo with lighted areas along with soft shadows and hard shadows. Also if you recommend a flash and position would be great. I have the speedlite 580ex II with ST-E2. I have heard great things and cool effects you can get by pointing the light in different directions. Thanx in advance.

J
    You can do many creative things with on-camera flash but it's a lot easier to produce creative results with off-camera lighting.

May I suggest you visit the The Strobist Blog. You can learn sooooo much in such a short period of time - its truely amazing. And it doesn't have to be expensive - it's amazing what can be done with a couple of cheap manual Vivatar flashes, some cheap EBay radio triggers, and a couple of DIY light/flash modifiers.