Dragons, a still life

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited October 13, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I'm taking a photo class a the local college. The most recent assignment/project is called "Two Light Tabletop" where we are suppose to take a photo of a product, something that perhaps could go in magazine.

I posted this in Whipping post a few days ago (Friday) but nothing from anyone yet. I am hoping to get some comments before I go to class this week. I still have to print and mount it before turning it in.

C&C please.

390998510_K82ps-L.jpg
~ Lisa

Comments

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Hi Lisa,

I think you've done well here for the assignment. Details of the item are crisp, it's presented well and the light is interesting while not obscuring your product.

The only thing really throwing it is the table it's on. If it were just the dark blue background, that would make it cleaner for me.

Hope this helps a little!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif with all above. To fix the table issue, move the entire set to the far edge of the table and re-shoot. I think you have a winner!
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Thanks Emily and Scott!
    ~ Lisa
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Is that really the table top, blue with speckles, or a cloth 'back drop' under and behind the items? If the later, replace it with a monotone cloth.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited October 13, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Is that really the table top, blue with speckles, or a cloth 'back drop' under and behind the items? If the later, replace it with a monotone cloth.

Don
    The blue is some sort of backdrop. The table top is a brown something. You can see it best on the left and right edges of the photo, about 1/3 from the bottom.
    edited October 13, 2008
    The blue is some sort of backdrop. The table top is a brown something. You can see it best on the left and right edges of the photo, about 1/3 from the bottom.
    Yeah, speckled table and backgroiund cloth. Still think a simpler, smother background would serve better.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited October 13, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Yeah, speckled table and backgroiund cloth. Still think a simpler, smother background would serve better.

Don
    This background gives a look like the dragon is against a night sky - just a little bit - and I kinda like it - FWIW
    edited October 13, 2008
    This background gives a look like the dragon is against a night sky - just a little bit - and I kinda like it - FWIW
    I got that, but a few less stars or a bit more blur might be in order. Too busy for me.

Don
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Don,

Thank you for the reply.

There is actually a cloth backdrop (starfield) and a table cover which is sopose to look sorta like dirt.

The tabletop itself is a shiny white thing (it is a phototraphy table of some sort) and would work great for product shots where they want to cut the product out of a white background. That isn't what I wanted to do though, I was thinking more of a "scene" stle shot - which is why I have all the gems and everything too.

I did try it without the brown table top cover but I couldn't get the DOF I wanted and blur the background without showing the white tabletop.

Thank you again everyone for your tips and ideas.
    ~ Lisa